Cruise control on my 78 xs 400

joo-c
This post is 5604 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My bike has cruse control and I don't know how to fix it. After I get to about 3500 rpm the bike won't decelerate if i let go of the throttle and if i pull the clutch the bike revs up very fast. I have no idea what it could be, can anyone help? Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Is there a throttle lock on the throttle grip? On my old HD Sportsters it was a screw device on the bottom of the right hand control, basically you twisted the throttle to the speed you want, then using only your thumb twist that screw until tight. It is basically a set screw designed to bind the throttle assembly in an open position allowing you to rest your right hand. It is possible that a P.O. cranked the throttle while it was tightened and grooved the throttle tube by mistake, which is why you can accelerate but not decellerate.

if its electronic then the front brake application would take it out of auto mode!!

its not electric and there is no screw on the throttle so im leaning toward a carb issue i guess...does any one have any advice?

Have you made sure the throttle cable is moving freely and that the return spring on the carb is not broken?

Are you sure that it's Cruise Control, and not just that it revs high? The xs400's, from all I've read, are notorious for having a problem with revving high ( I know mine does ). The factory set idle mixture tends to be way too lean, and once warmed up the revs climb up to around 4k or so and doesn't drop back down.

I'm still tweaking out mine, so I'm no expert on it - but here's a thread from a few months back on the same problem, with suggestions for the fixing process -old thread

Hope this helps.

My bike has cruse control and I don't know how to fix it. After I get to about 3500 rpm the bike won't decelerate if i let go of the throttle and if i pull the clutch the bike revs up very fast. I have no idea what it could be, can anyone help? Thanks

I love it when peeps turn a problem into a benefit :lol:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online