R6 or R1...?

HalHark
This post is 5598 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey! I'm a fairly new rider with a years worth of riding! I currently own a 2008 R6 which is everything i thought i wanted in a bike! fast, pokey, great handling etc...! But iv just come into some money and was looking to upgrade to a 2009 R1 but is it really an upgrade...? I love winding roads which are abundant in my neck of the woods! Is my R6 enough? And would my relative inexperience hinder my riding on such a powerful bike? Basically I'm looking for general opinions on which would be best my R6 or a new R1? Pro's and Cons and all that...!

Cheers.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The R6 is going to be a much easier bike to ride; it's slightly more nimble and doesn't have as much low end power. For someone with just a years worth of riding under his belt it might not be 'worth-while' to pick up a new R1 just yet. If you don't like the idea of putting the money in to savings until you feel the urge for a new bike you could consider modifying the R6 to your taste.

Hey! I'm a fairly new rider with a years worth of riding! I currently own a 2008 R6 which is everything i thought i wanted in a bike! fast, pokey, great handling etc...! But iv just come into some money and was looking to upgrade to a 2009 R1 but is it really an upgrade...? I love winding roads which are abundant in my neck of the woods! Is my R6 enough? And would my relative inexperience hinder my riding on such a powerful bike? Basically I'm looking for general opinions on which would be best my R6 or a new R1? Pro's and Cons and all that...!

Cheers.

Hey, thanks for the advice! Your probably right as well! If i don't get a bigger bike i'll definitely be looking to mod this R6... Might even see about a GSX-R 750 haha :)

ugh, you'd have a lot more fun with the R6 than the GSXR.

Either way, it's your money and your decision ;)

Hey, thanks for the advice! Your probably right as well! If i don't get a bigger bike i'll definitely be looking to mod this R6... Might even see about a GSX-R 750 haha :)

The question has to be - Why would anyone want the 2009 R1?

Dont get me wrong its a probably goin to be one to beat in WSB/BSB etc. but (this is my opinion) the 2009 R1 has to be the weirdest looking bike made for years.

If you have to upgrade at all (which is a bit hasty after only a years riding experience) go for the 08 R1.

I have 18 Years road & off road experience and the R6 is ample,

How much can you spend? what about the Ducati 848 (1098 lookalike).

Bit more money, but cheaper and much nicer than the new R1 and you get all the race bits as standard

ugh, you'd have a lot more fun with the R6 than the GSXR.

Either way, it's your money and your decision ;)

ugh, you'd have a lot more fun with the R6 than the GSXR. how ??????

My last bike was an R1.. That was my first proper bike.. had the same thing when i went to get it.. there was an R6 and a R1.. the lad said to me.. why have a lamb when you an have a sheep..

Great bike.. sounded lovely with the aka exhaust

Hi A years expierence and you are looking at an R1, can I be so rude as to ask how old you are? and more to the point how long you want to live. Give your self a chance and enjoy the R6 until you learn how to handle a bike. I have been riding 40 years and the power in an R1 scares me shitle--

Stay safe.

Lew

The question has to be - Why would anyone want the 2009 R1?

Dont get me wrong its a probably goin to be one to beat in WSB/BSB etc. but (this is my opinion) the 2009 R1 has to be the weirdest looking bike made for years.

If you have to upgrade at all (which is a bit hasty after only a years riding experience) go for the 08 R1.

I have 18 Years road & off road experience and the R6 is ample,

How much can you spend? what about the Ducati 848 (1098 lookalike).

Bit more money, but cheaper and much nicer than the new R1 and you get all the race bits as standard

I agree that the front fairing of the '09 R1 isn't easy to look at BUT the bike is a mechanical masterpiece; it will clean the floor with a Duc 848 and the 1098. The '07/'08 R1 is still very nice, no complaints there if the buyer wants to save some dough to pick up one of these over the '09.

ugh, you'd have a lot more fun with the R6 than the GSXR. how ??????

The new R6 is leaps and bounds ahead of Suzuki. Besides, we're talking about quality motorcycles here. :P

I agree that the front fairing of the '09 R1 isn't easy to look at BUT the bike is a mechanical masterpiece; it will clean the floor with a Duc 848 and the 1098. The '07/'08 R1 is still very nice, no complaints there if the buyer wants to save some dough to pick up one of these over the '09.

The new R6 is leaps and bounds ahead of Suzuki. Besides, we're talking about quality motorcycles here. :P

I agree with the "Mechanical Masterpeice"

As I mentioned in WSB/BSB (I would say AMA as well but they do love they're Suzuki's) every other Manufacturer will probably be playin catch-up like they were when the 1st R1 came out.

But this bike is pig ugly, what would you rather have, a great looking bike that does does everything you want it to or a bike that does NO more than want it to and looks bad to boot.

P.S I never intended that the Ducati 848 is a match for the new R1, it's only in the supersport class.

The new Ducati 1198 will however be more than a match on track, thats where the extra pennies are spent

The new Ducati 1198 will however be more than a match on track, thats where the extra pennies are spent

Ducati wish!

The 1198 is absolute pants!

And that is an unbiased view.

Terrible handling and power delivery.

But this bike is pig ugly, what would you rather have, a great looking bike that does does everything you want it to or a bike that does NO more than want it to and looks bad to boot.

That's hard for me to say, I ride an early aprilia that probably has one of the ugliest front ends known. ;)

Heh, 1st post, but I saw the topic name and had to throw in my $.02...

I've been riding for 3 years now, ultimately I would love to get into racing, and I've read alot of stuff, been out and done alot of stuff, and one of my good buddies was a pro racer in Cali before he moved to Florida and we've talked ALOT about this debate.

As a new rider with only a year in the saddle, you need to realize that an R1 has WAY more power than you are comfortable enough with or even know how to handle at this point. It's the kind of thing you should say to yourself "Have I really approached the limits of what my R6 can do? Am I ready to upgrade to that much power, and do I have the respect and responsiblity to handle it in all situations?"

Like I said, I've done ALOT on my bikes in my time in the saddle, including some impromptu races with my ex-racer buddy. I ride an '06 R6 and I can tell you that I've not even gotten close to the bike's limits, though I've exceeded my own limits on a few occasions and was just lucky to not have wadded it up.

However, if you only use your bike for casual street riding and don't ever do any sort of performance riding, then it's just a question of preference, style, and comfort. IMHO the '09 R1 is horrendously ugly (right alongside the newer Ninjas... just UGLY things) and I wouldn't take one if it was given to me. But I agree with all the above posts about how mechanically untouchable they are. Second to none.

Ultimately it's your choice, just be responsible. I was a cop for 6 years and I have literally walked down the highway picking up pieces and parts of the bike AND the guy who was riding it when people rode bikes they didn't have the respect or ability to use.

Ducati wish!

The 1198 is absolute pants!

And that is an unbiased view.

Terrible handling and power delivery.

Sounds very BIASED to me, Ducati dont become bad overnight, I'm sure there are many riders who would disagree with you there

"TERRIBLE handling" "POOR power delivery" "absolute PANTS" hmm.

Perhaps it's just not your kind of bike!

back on topic lol

personally after only a years riding i wouldnt go to an r1, it sounds as if you want to go faster. An r6 is plenty fast enough for the road!

the roads arnt a race track remember and you will only get yourself in trouble or hurt. so just take it easy.

keep safe ;)

I wrote a summary of the R6 and R1 after taking them both for a test ride not so long ago .. this was my thoughts!

The other day a mate took his Gixer750 for a service at CMC, and had arranged to take out an 'R1 demonstrator. I thought I'd take out an 'R6.

Now a bit of history here; I'd never ridden a 'thou' before, but have been under the impression that Sportsbike 'thous' can be too quick/powerful, which means they aren't as satisfying to ride. This train of thought often leads to some debates with a collegue who has a BLADE. So now was my chance to see what the reality was.

Off we went on some familiar roads to test both bikes out, and this is my findings which were pretty mirrored by my mate.

R6

1) Lovely and I do mean lovely BARK from the front ram air, snapping the throttle in slow moving traffic is so satisfying.

2) Handled superbly, I've never ridden anything that handled that way, it just flicks about like you can't imagine.

3) Engine is weak in low revs, but once at 6k it take off right through to the redline, gearing means that this isn't a long wait.

4) Brakes were good and had an excellent feel and bite to them.

R1

1) Too quiet

2) Fast as you not what in a straight line

3) Suspension was alot softer than the R6

4) Handling (and the R1 is supposed to handle good) was below expectations.

5) Brakes were very strong but lacked feel.

6) All you can hear is the R6 rider blipping the throttle and enjoying the intake bark

I'm not sure if it was because I'd just jumped off the R6 but the handing on the R1 was naff compared. Where the R6 loves to lay down in corners and there's loads of feedback and confidence from the front, the R1 wants to stand upright all the time and felt like there was no connection between road and rider, this meant twisty corners were slower on the R1.

The R1 was like a missile, but felt uninspiring to ride as you didn't have to work it, the R6 is without a doubt, utterly amazing; OK the revs have to get up before it takes off, and it doesn't have a much low down grunt as my '04 R6, but once it's on the move it's handling excites and because your using the gearbox instead of just sticking in one gear it's far more satisfying to ride and give's way more SMILE PER MILE.

Where would my money be ............... it would be on taking the engine out of mine and sticking it into an '07 R6. It has strengthened my opinion that a new R7 or R8 should be designed.

Shortly after we got back on to our own bikes, and refuelled we swapped to each others bike. My mate had never ridden mine before and the only time I'd rode his was over 3 years ago when I still had a Thundercat.

Our thoughts about the 2 were the same:

1) The Gixer 750 engine didn't seem that much quicker than the R6 (both 04 plates), but it did have more grunt and a little more torque further into the midrange.

2) The R6 seems more roomy around the controls and dash.

3) The R6 handles better and lays over easier.

The ride on all the bikes has helped me appreciate my own bike again. I had been thinking it must be getting tired having had so much use (nearly 55,000 on an '04), but I no longer think that, also seeing it on the road with my mate riding it I thought .... "God damn, that's good looking !", that's my bike not him

SUMMARY :

600's are better if you like cornering and enjoy RIDING a bike,

1000 better if you like straight line speed, and just sitting on somat for the ride.

Yamaha R6, whether '04 or later models are bloomin good bike's ! - Not that I'm biased

totally agree with ChrisW I have ridden both on test rides and concur, I do feel very strongly that all anyone needs is a 600cc hyper, you can ride it to 80% of its potential...maybe?...the R1? maybe 60% if your very lucky and always you will be disappointed. why buy all that technology and only use 60%?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online