respraying plastics

alza
This post is 5606 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi everyone i have a dt125x & i need too respray my plastic panels as they where given to a resprayer & they look a right mess a he didnt prepare the panels first..so i need too do them my self any ideas what is the best cans of paint too get thanx alza here is a cpl of pics of some panels..

Picture004.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hows it going

i sprayed the bumpers on my van. i gave them a good clean with thinners after buffing/sanding any deep scratches and i sprayed a clear layer of plastic adhesive on it.(cant remember the name but i think i have the old tin). i then gave it a couple of heavy layers of primer. filled out any scratches with cataloy/cellulose putty and sanded down.(be careful not to sand of the plastic adhesive hence the heavy primer) i then mixed hardener through the paint and sprayed. you might be as well stripping all the paint of your panels as there might not be plastic adhesive under yours and it may start to peel off after time. also if you spray on top of the exsisting paint, the new paint might react with it and cause it to craze. as for spraying with a can i personaly wouldnt do it, you will get a better finnish with the gun so try and borrow/hire one (it will work out cheaper than cans)

You need to wet & dry them (wet) back to a smooth finish, then spray with plastic primer, then wet & dry the primer (Fine & wet) dry thoroughly and spray with top coat. allow top coat to dry for at least 3 weeks before any final polishing with T Cut and a damp cloth. You can indeed get a good finish with rattle cans, that is what i used on mine ;)

DT175MXSide-panels.jpg

RFender_3.jpg

I did my old kh125 A3 with spray cans and also laquered it to stop any oil/petrol reacting with the paint!!

Hey OG they look superb :D

Bloody ell thats a nice job there OG and all from a can,well done m8 giving me a bit of courage to do mine

Thanks guys...Glad u like :D

I did my old kh125 A3 with spray cans and also laquered it to stop any oil/petrol reacting with the paint!!

I agree and thats what i did too, a clear laquer on top of it all, make sure you buy a petrol proof one though, I didnt so i'm glad i didnt do the fuel tank but when i did the job i didnt realise it could be a problem. If you do go the whole hog it will be the final laquer coat that you have to spend the most time polishing. :thumb:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online