cleaning spokes

cili
This post is 4781 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Anyone has some good advise on cleaning spokes without too much hassle I can't seem to get them shinning and they do get so dirty....

cheers

Joe

Sorry Joe, just wipe them with a rag soaked in WD40. Anything else such as metal polish or heaven forbid wire wool that will make them shiny but are all abrasive and will soon have the plated surface removed, riding in winter will also remove the plated surface due to salt on the roads, its an irreversible process if you let it happen! if youre going to ride in winter, this is the damage you can expect, all you can do is try to slow it down with regular cleaning.

Sorry Joe, just wipe them with a rag soaked in WD40. Anything else such as metal polish or heaven forbid wire wool that will make them shiny but are all abrasive and will soon have the plated surface removed, riding in winter will also remove the plated surface due to salt on the roads, its an irreversible process if you let it happen! if youre going to ride in winter, this is the damage you can expect, all you can do is try to slow it down with regular cleaning.

Did not cross my mind to clean with WD40 will try that, so far I have only touched them with a dry cloth nothing else but some friends told me to use wire wool which sounded wrong to me ( thanks god) we don't really have road Salt issues here in Malta, nor do I ride in wet weather ( just to keep the bike clean) again it does not rain as much here, but still the spokes get so dirty and they still loose the plated surface as I have seen on other bikes.

Will give it a shot with WD40 this evening.

cheers

Joe

• 2 years later...

I bought my bike the other week, and its an 01 plate. I found that the spokes are black with.....I'd say corrosion, but it comes off with a load of chrome cleaner and a helluva lotta elbow grease. I'm talking 30 minutes of cleaning per spoke. Is there any easier way of doing this? Its aright ballache. And the spoke nipples are even harder to do.

Smart, cheers. Anywhere you'd reccomend (internet-wise)

only if you live in the UK!

only if you live in the UK! or there is a contact in Singapore which I used a few years agao and Blackhat this year!