Am i ready?

grizzly_batters
This post is 5635 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ok, i was wondering how much harder the full test is than CBT.

I dont mean to sound stupid, i realise that it is harder, but i think i probs ride to standard (mirrors checked every 10-15 secs, two pushes of the indicators to make sure they cancel everytime, throwing lifesavers around like they are candy at a parade, plus riding straight and safe and within speed limits) do i stand a chance?

I'm itching to get riding a big bike (even if limimted to 33bhp), and my step-dad's got a Thundercat hes willing to GIVE me if i pass.

Cheers guys

Alex

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Alex u should be fine if u got on with the team who put u through the cb then use em there r lot of em cheaper

but its who u a compfy with they will tell u if u get a chance 2 filter then do if safe to,or there tell u get a car.

good luck ps try not to let ur nervs get u on the day think u r showing them how to ride

There is NOTHING not asked of you on the (current) full test that you haven't already met on CBT.

You just have to do it better is all.

Definitely take some training immediately before the test. As many days as you can afford!!

Get everything down pat, stay calm, enjoy the ride and you will pass.

"It's not about luck, it's about skill".

My Instructor

Ok, i was wondering how much harder the full test is than CBT.

Probably not, going ito the CBT you had never riden on the road, so presumably you had some concerns about that? Heading into a test the hardest part is most probably in your head.

I dont mean to sound stupid, i realise that it is harder, but i think i probs ride to standard (mirrors checked every 10-15 secs, two pushes of the indicators to make sure they cancel everytime, throwing lifesavers around like they are candy at a parade, plus riding straight and safe and within speed limits) do i stand a chance?

Ok, we're getting somewhere now, passing your test isn't about the number of times you do a lifesaver, check the indicator, riding straight and within speed limits - although not doing them can fail you. It's about the correct use of the things you mention and many more. If you have been riding for a while then you have probably picked up a good number of bad habits. Another thing is advice from bikers who've been riding for a while. for instance:

This is a contentious one, but riding straight and true isn't safe, it's the easiest way to fade into the overall picture. At a junction for instance, if you move from one side of the lane to the other helps you to become more visible to the car waiting to come out - the price we pay for larger A Pillars on cars!

So the above statement would probably fail you on your test (depending on the examiner), but doing BikeSafe this is the sort of thing the Police would advise you to do - so there is always disparity between those of us who have riden for years and what is required to pass a test, and for this reason you must take training and trust what they tell you to pass. Use a school that has been reccomended by someone else.

I'm itching to get riding a big bike (even if limimted to 33bhp), and my step-dad's got a Thundercat hes willing to GIVE me if i pass.

Cheers guys

Alex

That's all the readiness you need, go out and do it

Remember, passing your test doesn't mean you can ride, it means you can ride to a standard safe to go out and learn on your own. Got my first bike in 1986 and I'm still learning today

Get your test passed then ask around for real advice on staying alive!

Good Luck

Thanks for all the advice

If you have been riding for a while then you have probably picked up a good number of bad habits.

To be fair i havent been riding for long, since 30th september ( so about a month). My step-dad suggested that i should wait 2 months before doing my test, so its long enough to 'hone' my skills, but not so long that i develop bad habits. Either way, i have bokked 4 days of training in january to see what kind of standard i ride to and see if its worth booking my practical. Already passed my theory, did that before my CBT.

Thanks Again

Alex

Thanks for all the advice

To be fair i havent been riding for long, since 30th september ( so about a month). My step-dad suggested that i should wait 2 months before doing my test, so its long enough to 'hone' my skills, but not so long that i develop bad habits. Either way, i have bokked 4 days of training in january to see what kind of standard i ride to and see if its worth booking my practical. Already passed my theory, did that before my CBT.

Thanks Again

Alex

Do the training in january & find out if they think you're good enough to pass the test. By the time you get a test date you're looking at 5 months between cbt & part 2 (should make your step-dad happy) that way you will have a good idea if you will or won't pass the test.

you should be fine, i went from a yearm on a moped never ridden a geared bike . . . had 5 2 hour lessons and then passed my test, id say as has been mentioned before just find an instructer you get on well with as you want to be comfortable more than anything.

Some of the terms you guys use over there in the UK are different than those used in the US lol. What is this "Lifesaver" you all keep referencing, is it just turning your head to make sure nobody's in your mirrors blind spots?

Lifesaver is slightly different from Shoulder Check.

Shoulder Check is turning the head to the side, in line with the shoulder, to make sure blind spots are clear. It is part of Observation.

Lifesaver is a last moment glance, immediately before you commit to a manoeuvre, done only on the relevant side - If turning right it's a right Lifesaver, if entering a roundabout it's a left one. Essentially, it's another Shoulder Check but done right before you do the dangerous bit - Just in case. It's called a Lifesaver for that exact reason.

I've almost gone to change lanes and there was a black car with no lights on, during heavy rain at dusk. I'd done my checks, Lifesaver etc, but just caught the corner of something leaving my mirror one instant and entering my blind spot the next. One more quick Lifesaver and I realise what the face of Death By Feckwitt looks like.

However, different schools teach different things.

Some say you need a Lifesaver before moving across your lane (such as around a parked car) and another before you reassume the Riding Dominant position. Others say a mirror check is sufficient.

Ultimately, as with use of indicators*, you end up using your judgement. Just be big enough to accept it if you make a mistake and learn from it.

*For those who will ask - I don't use indicators if it's 3am and no-one is around to see my signal. Part of observation, which means this includes pedestrians. Don't do it on the test, though - remember the instructor still needs to see timely indication of your intent!!