Insurance help needed :)

The Beginner
This post is 5633 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Evening all :)

As you probably know I'm hoping to get myself an XVS650a when i turn 17 and have been horribly worried about the insurance seeing as i'm so "young". I had a look around in google for "yamaha bike insurance" and filled out a quote form with accurate details, and got results from £550 to about £3000, was wondering if anyone knows any reasons for this and also if they can recommend anyone cheaper, I've got 1 year's no claims and have held my full UK license for 0years and negative two months :P

SO EXCITED about my new bike.

Ed

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

probably because its such a large bike (both in physical size and engine capacity) and that you havent passed a test yet (no licence) my first bike (Yamaha DT50MX) has cost me £220 to insure TP F&T, would have been £180 if i could keep it in the garage

i found swinton are the best for small bikes, or possibly e-bike, best website to use is gocompare.

why one years no claims though?... O.o

I've ridden a 50cc for a year :) got away without any bumps or grazes (non that i had to claim for anyway.) So Hopefully that stands in my defence :P

I'm lucky with my 50cc, it JUST fits in the garage, but there's going to have to be a trip to the tip to get rid of some of the crap in there to make room for my new bike.

on that note, anybody want to buy enough second hand carpet to cover 3 football pitches?? or one of 500 lawnmowers? ;)

well as said here the size of bike is the thing you are restricted too 33 bhp for 2 years anyhow but the 125 will be welll under that how about a 250/400 cruiser type bike first to get a bit of experience, preferably sub 33 bhp as they will sting you £150+ for the 33bhp kit to restrict a bigger bike anyhow,

merv

Nawr, I've had my time playing with a little bike, I know I don't know all the ropes, but I don't think I'm gonna learn any more being able to go 10mph faster, I'm going up to the bigger bike cos i need one for at least 5 years (end of school and a masters at uni if they'll take me) so it makes sense to buy a big bike now and learn to ride it , rahter than keep buying them. Also, I've just plain fallen in love with how the 650 classic looks. :)

For starters Get the XVS650 not the 650a! The custom is just better...

My trick is to get a quote from insureyourbike.com and then phone up Aquote insurance and get them to beat it...

Carol Nash have a new arm - justbikeinsurance, they take out all the crap you might not need (breakdown, legal insurance etc) so you get just the insurance.

My circumstances are different to yours, but they reduced the best quote I got by a 1/3 - it's only a phone call after all.

i personally would avoid that bike, if you say you are using it for commuting.

it will have to be cleaned a hell of alot due to the ammount of chrome.

if you need a bike with a similar if not bettter insurance group, look at the XJ600 or Fazer 600

my 600 is insurance group 13, but i got a good deal through Honda insurance, but thats only honda i think.

i personally would avoid that bike, if you say you are using it for commuting.

I use mine for commuting, if your riding through the winter your obviously not one of these fair-weather posers - so washing the salt off with a bucket of water once in a while does the trick.

No-one can take the piss for you having a dirty bike if you've ridden through freezing fog and the pouring rain...

Evening all :)

As you probably know I'm hoping to get myself an XVS650a when i turn 17 and have been horribly worried about the insurance seeing as i'm so "young". I had a look around in google for "yamaha bike insurance" and filled out a quote form with accurate details, and got results from £550 to about £3000, was wondering if anyone knows any reasons for this and also if they can recommend anyone cheaper, I've got 1 year's no claims and have held my full UK license for 0years and negative two months :P

SO EXCITED about my new bike.

Ed

i went and got my self xjr1300 ive got cb500 they r both insuranced by bennets fully com brack down uk&int

first year cos me with new full license £560. i had the xjr 5month have 5k since new and that need a lot of washing iget to work and like what was all ready said bucket of cold wetter does the trick shop around if u still got your other bike tell your new bike is dry days and backup bike good luck n shop around your self it pays to

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online