Loss of power

hugoverdog
This post is 5678 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello,

My bike (XVS Dragstar 125) has recently started losing power when I'm pulling away from lights etc. I'll explain what happens. I start the bike, in the morning or the afternoon/evening and let it warm up for as long as I can without getting really bored. When I pull away it moves but not anywhere near as fast as it should do, almost dangerously slow. The only way I get it to start working properly is by blipping the throttle and then it suddenly kicks in to life but even then sometimes when I change from 1st to 2nd the power can go and I lose acceleration, it feels like the fuel isn't getting through or something, this is really doing my head in, someone please help!

Thanks guys!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Does it smoke? feel excessively hot? using a lot of fuel?? What if you start and go? Any funny/odd noises? need more info. My gut instinct says carb/jet blocked.

Personally my bike is warmed up for as long as it takes me to put it into gear, i then keep it 'sensible' for a couple of miles, out of the village seems about right, and thats it.

Does it smoke? feel excessively hot? using a lot of fuel?? What if you start and go? Any funny/odd noises? need more info. My gut instinct says carb/jet blocked.

Personally my bike is warmed up for as long as it takes me to put it into gear, i then keep it 'sensible' for a couple of miles, out of the village seems about right, and thats it.

To be honest it doesn't do anything like that, it does tend to rattle when in the higher revs but that all goes when I change gear.

If I start and go it's a lot worse, I normally start the engine and rev it while it's in neutral and that seems to help, like it unblocks it or something, when I'm on the move and it happens I blip the throttle a few times and all of sudden I get power and my head flys back! It only tends to happen the first couple of times of pulling away after I've first started the bike then it's OK.

Take it back to the dealer tell them you have hardly used it and it's playing up a dealer may well clean the carbs out for you, worth a try nothing to lose.

Square Box

Unfortunatley I've done over 300 mile in the last month since the service, they know me there due to the fact that they took 6 days to do a service MOT and change the front tyre. which I wasn't very happy about especially as they said it would take 1 - 2 days...the bunch of helmets. I'd never go back there, they didn't seem to care!

Is it true you can buy carb cleaner that you put in the petrol?

Is it true you can buy carb cleaner that you put in the petrol?

Its coblers, you can buy a fuel stabiliser if you are not using your bike frequently but as for cleaning the carbs with a little bottle of red stuff Pah.

Get yourself a manual (Que OG with the clicky link) and check out the carb, probably something floating around in the float bowl. Hence the intermitance.

Its coblers, you can buy a fuel stabiliser if you are not using your bike frequently but as for cleaning the carbs with a little bottle of red stuff Pah.

Get yourself a manual (Que OG with the clicky link) and check out the carb, probably something floating around in the float bowl. Hence the intermitance.

I would if i could but manuals for this bike are non existent, do a search on the forum, theres been posts about this bike manual.

By all means tell me if you think i'm talkin bollocks but it sound to me like it's running really rich :eusa_think:

I'm not sure I know what that means! Rich?

Thanks for all your posts guy, A mate and myself took off the air filter to get a better look couldn't really see anything so we put it back on, after that it's been fine! I really don't know how it happened, taking the air filter off and putting it back on again shouldn't do anything!

The mystery continues!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online