yamaha xj 900-f, no spark

mat4
This post is 5685 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have a 1992 xj900f and have had nothing but electrick problems with it first the clock lights were working intermitently then the starter wouldnt operate from the switch. I have gone through all the connections and now the starter operates on the switch but theres no spark at the plugs anymore and the clock lights are perminantly off.

What I would like to know is where to specificly look for a bad connection that would cause the bike to loose the spark.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

What I would like to know is where to specificly look for a bad connection that would cause the bike to loose the spark.

And the numbers for saturdays draw?? :lol:

Seriously, there is no 'specific place', round the headstock for maybe a broken wire, and ANY connection could ultimately be the one that lets you down, for my money i would look where you have been. If it WAS working and you have fixed something else and now whatever was working doesent then there are pretty good odds that that is the place to look.

I'm not saying that is where the fault lies but its where i'd start and handlebar switches are notorious as they age.

And the numbers for saturdays draw?? :lol:

Seriously, there is no 'specific place', round the headstock for maybe a broken wire, and ANY connection could ultimately be the one that lets you down, for my money i would look where you have been. If it WAS working and you have fixed something else and now whatever was working doesent then there are pretty good odds that that is the place to look.

I'm not saying that is where the fault lies but its where i'd start and handlebar switches are notorious as they age.

Thanks folks, yes I have a hayns manual and will keep looking for the fault.

I have a 1992 xj900f and have had nothing but electrick problems with it first the clock lights were working intermitently then the starter wouldnt operate from the switch. I have gone through all the connections and now the starter operates on the switch but theres no spark at the plugs anymore and the clock lights are perminantly off.

Hey partner, sounds like a starter relay, or CDI ignition igniter. The starter relay can be checked with a jumper wire between terminal studs located on either side of relay. Good luck.

I have both '91 and '94 models of XJ900F`s and heres what Ive found (which may, or may not help!)...

The older '91 model is used in all sorts of weather (97,000 miles) and one of the main problem areas Ive found is the wiring behind the headlamp unit. Water gets in and the joints tend to corrode to the point where they break apart - this has caused many small problems over the years but the XJ`s wiring diagram is pretty simple to read and the cure is just to just make off the terminations again with new crimp lugs.

Over the years, another problem area is the wiring loom that goes to the ignition switch - due to the amount of movement this cable suffers, its easy for one of the leads to break along its length (Sod`s law its in the middle somewhere), but using a multimeter (or simple circuit tester of some kind) you can track it down and repair as required.

For the CDI unit, you should have +12v on the red/white wire going to the CDI (when the kill switch is on and ignition on) - check also that you have a good earth connection which should be a black lead.

Ive had problems with CDI`s but always intermittent and caused the bike to run roughly, altho never failed completely on me so was always able to ride home.

BTW, are you grounding the spark plugs when theyre out of the engine to "see" the spark?

As for the dash lights; there is a blue wire coming from the ignition switch which should have +12v on it, or check the blue coming from the right hand switch cluster - there should be one there too (fed from ign sw, and then goes to the meter lights).

As with the CDI unit, the fault could actually be a bad earth connection, so check those out too.

Hope that helps?

Ride free,

Chez

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the advice it was very usefull.

I have now got the bike running again. It turns out to have been a problem with an alarm that was wired to the bike years ago. I traced the wiring to and from the tci igniter and found that the red and white wire was wired into the black box of the alarm so I disconected it from the alarm and conneced it together bypassing the alarm and now the bike starts and runs fine, hope it stays that way.

Cheers

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online