Winter riding Advice for newbies like me

Hardrive
This post is 5685 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys and gals

Im starting this post as I have so much questions about winter riding and im sure newbies like me would find your replies helpfull.......

1. when riding in rain and wet conditions how much slower should i take corners compared to a dry day as im really going slow and not leaning the bike virtualy at all...

2. In wet conditions aproaching a sharp corner doing 40mph and slowing down whats the best way to brake to slow down? currently i use engine braking by easing off the throtle and braking with both front and rear break and changing down gear and slowly letting out the clutch and slowly accelerate around the corner not enough throtle to go faster but enough to keep the engine working if you know what i mean

3. In wet/ raining conditions I find patches of water on the road (puddles) and im worried about aqua plaining what can I expect if i hit a puddle and what corrective measure can i do not to ditch the bike?

4. with leaves falling from trees what reaction does it have say on a straight road and on a bend and whats the first sign of thingss going wrong? and how to correct it?

5. in strong wind I feel uneasy on my bike as it blows me side ways as its a light bike and im a light weight whats the best way to ride in wind to reduce the effects of the wind?

6. if it snows what are the do's and dont's of riding in snow?

and if you have any winter riding advice that i havent asked please add your own as im planning to ride through out winter and dont fancy the idea of comming off my bike and before warned is before armed lol

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

There will be a whole host of advice on this, and rider abilities vary as much as the advice you will recieve, remember you are a novice so read, consider and apply as you think is right - experience is gained, not give!

As a rule I'm a fairly steady, calm, methodical, rider (but I do have my momments like everyone else). I ride year round with no let up for the weather - apart from black ice, wait till the sun's up if there's going to be ice!

Here's my take on it, remember this is my way and may not be yours. Incidentaly I ride a mixture of 600's - Single off roader, Raider and Sports touring, the type of bike will help determine the correct course of action :

1. when riding in rain and wet conditions how much slower should i take corners compared to a dry day as im really going slow and not leaning the bike virtualy at all...

It is dependant on many factors, road conditions, weather, tyres, rider, other traffic etc. To be safe you need to keep your bike under control, hands off the clutch and use the rear brake to stabilize the bike if you need to. with some revs and hand away from the clutch you are not going to skid. Keep to a speed you are comfortable with, you will only pick up speed with experience.

2. In wet conditions aproaching a sharp corner doing 40mph and slowing down whats the best way to brake to slow down? currently i use engine braking by easing off the throtle and braking with both front and rear break and changing down gear and slowly letting out the clutch and slowly accelerate around the corner not enough throtle to go faster but enough to keep the engine working if you know what i mean

Get in the right gear before the corner, hands off the clutch and use your rear brake to keep control. if you need to stop mid corner - rear brake only. If you hit the front the bike will stand up and you'll head for the gutter.

3. In wet/ raining conditions I find patches of water on the road (puddles) and im worried about aqua plaining what can I expect if i hit a puddle and what corrective measure can i do not to ditch the bike?

Alot is down to your speed and tyre type. if you've got deep tread patterns then you aren't going to suffer this really, if you've got 2mm left then get some new tyres on. I've had loads of bikes and I make good progress on the road in most conditions, I've never had a problem with this. however I've hit bits of road where the surface water is deep. The key is not to panic, keep away from the front brake but back off the throttle a bit, but not enough to loose control. you want to keep some weight on the front wheel to help dispel the wet stuff.

4. with leaves falling from trees what reaction does it have say on a straight road and on a bend and whats the first sign of thingss going wrong? and how to correct it?

They can be as slippy as hell, try to avoid, but don't panic if you run over them, on busy roads it's not a problem as they tend not to gather, but on quiet roads just look out for the ones that are starting to rot, they are the slippy ones.

5. in strong wind I feel uneasy on my bike as it blows me side ways as its a light bike and im a light weight whats the best way to ride in wind to reduce the effects of the wind?

You need to study the physics of it a little, you are going to get blown about a bit whatever. On a big bike the key is to keep pushing on, on a 125 you haven't realy got that option so, consider the direction of the wind and give yourself some safety space - if it's blowing left to right keep your road possition to the left of the road so you have time to react if you start to go, same on the other side. Watch out when passing wagons, you'll be in a nice quiet place until you get to the front and the wind will catch you. You need to give yourself space to react that's the key.

6. if it snows what are the do's and dont's of riding in snow?

This can be the single most buttock clentching experience of them all, slow down, don't panic and get the bike under control. Start to think much much more in advance and take extra time to make any changes, like a pilot - small and gentle corrections. Look at what the other road users are doing and plan for them. Wagons keep going whatever, dicks in 4x4's forget that they are heavy and will have more problems stopping than the average car, Idiots with ABS don't know that ABS makes stopping in the snow harder.

and if you have any winter riding advice that i havent asked please add your own as im planning to ride through out winter and dont fancy the idea of comming off my bike and before warned is before armed lol

You're already half way there as you are thinking about it - well played

Some key factors;

1) Keep Warm, as you cool down your reactions will slow - including your thought process.

2) Drivers are half asleep in dark mornings, and aren't thinking on dark evenings - remember this and you'll start to think for them.

3) Good protection, every rider will come off at some point, just make sure you walk away from it.

4) Stay calm, alert, and never ever panic

5) Visor - make sure you've got some product to stop misting, Fog City are the best I've found in 23 years riding.

6) In the rain when it's dark you will see sod all but stars, be ready for it! And it's worse when there's salt on the road..

I would say that you can never call yourself a biker until you've riden a winter, when the spring comes you'll be as sharp as a button, you'll worry about nothing and enjoy the warm spring days, while the summer riders will still think it's too cold!

By the way - There is a thread already about this one here: Winter Riding Thread

If you want some sound advice, then read Roadcraft, The Police Riders Handbook - it will tell you everything you need to know. but don't just read it once, I re-read it at least once a year, and reffer to it often.

Thanks Dude

That reply was really in depth and have a bit to think about now and will apply it to my riding and my confidence is growing more and more but I always keep in the back of my mind (I can come off and its gonna hurt) and inturn respect the bike and the road conditions.

You all might think im totaly nutts as I have a car as well but im determined to ride to work and around instead of taking the easy option of just jumping in the car. I cant describe the feeling when im riding and im defo gonna take my full test before june next year and the winter riding will hopefully make me a better rider and give me the experiance i need before going for my full test....

again thank you for your advice im gonna check Roadcraft, The Police Riders Handbook when i finish work tomorrow..

I cant describe the feeling when im riding

You don't need to, everyone on here knows it well, that's why we're all here!

Good luck, remember never panic, stay calm and enjoy the ride

For the record Hardrive.......

Only REAL riders ride year-round. ;)

GovtCamp.jpg

Just watch your speed & your engine-braking technique is a great place to start. :thumb:

I think i might take note from some of that,

Wind is always the worst as its really unpredictable just slow down cause anything could be in the road

say a tree .... it can really hurt (past experience).

Could always do what i did take your test in december time that way you know you've experinced the worst and been approved by an instructor ;)

1 more thing to remember is to not tense up and hold onto the bars for grim death this will have an adverse affect on your bike control try to keep a nice relaxed grip if you feel yourself tense up try and wiggle your fingers.happy riding

All sensible advice there. The key to riding in the rain is to KEEP IT SMOOTH. No sudden acceleration or braking - easy on both gas and brakes. Trailing the rear brake will provide a degree on control but don't keep your foot on the pedal - other road users will get frustrated with you.

Anticipate hazards and you'll be fine. Allow more time for braking and, if it's snowing, a LOT more time. In snow, expect to need at least ten times the braking distance - you won't know what's under the snow.

The leaves advice is very sound. Slippery little critters, those. In rain, try to avoid them, which I realise is not always possible. The same applies to manhole covers; on the straight, you'll probably be all right to go over them but avoid them when cornering. Remember; if you do go over a manhole, you're on it for less than a second.

You're only going to aquaplane if you're really tanking it and going through a lot of water. At slow speeds, the bike's weight will keep you planted on the road, so it shouldn't really be an issue. You'll be amazed at how good modern rubber is at holding the road. Just don't try getting your knee down.....

When you first go out, theres always so much to take on board. Take your time and allow confidence to build.

Oh yes; and, as was already noted - keeping warm will also help a great deal. Make sure that you stay warm but also that any extra clothing you have doesn't restrict your movements. You need to be able to keep relaxed.

Enjoy.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online