Only getting 65 mpg w/ my '05 XV250

EZRidin231
This post is 5650 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Just wondering what all the XV250 owners are getting for mileage. I got a best of just under 68 mpg, and a worst of 61 mpg. 65 is what I got on the last 3 fill ups I checked the mileage on, and seems to be the average. They were pretty much highway rides of speeds not really exceeding 70 mph mixed with speeds in the 60 mph range. This puts my range at about 120 miles before reserve needs to be turned on. Seems normal or too low?

Other owners claim to get 80+ on a regular basis :blink:? Bike has about 1700 miles on it now. Bought it used w/ about 1150 miles on it. Air pressure set at high settings (I weigh about 210 lbs) and engine oil's been changed (Yamalube 10w40) about 400 miles ago.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

120 miles before hitting reserve is generally good, IMO. Most well-kept bikes seem to manage that at least.

120 miles divided by your 2.50 gallon XV250 tank = 48mpg in theory.

Please note that this calculation includes your full reserve, so you're actually getting far better than what the specs suggest.

I get around 48 mpg on my 650 Drag (I ride her hard, though ;) ).

You'll get an average of 65mpg on a mid-range Tourer like the Deauville.

The only recent bike I ever heard of that got 87mpg was the Royal Enfield Bullet 500.

Now I'm no expert, but I'd reckon you're doing OK!!

120 miles before hitting reserve is generally good, IMO. Most well-kept bikes seem to manage that at least.

120 miles divided by your 2.50 gallon XV250 tank = 48mpg in theory.

Please note that this calculation includes your full reserve, so you're actually getting far better than what the specs suggest.

I get around 48 mpg on my 650 Drag (I ride her hard, though ;) ).

You'll get an average of 65mpg on a mid-range Tourer like the Deauville.

The only recent bike I ever heard of that got 87mpg was the Royal Enfield Bullet 500.

Now I'm no expert, but I'd reckon you're doing OK!!

Just wondering what all the XV250 owners are getting for mileage. I got a best of just under 68 mpg, and a worst of 61 mpg. 65 is what I got on the last 3 fill ups I checked the mileage on, and seems to be the average. They were pretty much highway rides of speeds not really exceeding 70 mph mixed with speeds in the 60 mph range. This puts my range at about 120 miles before reserve needs to be turned on. Seems normal or too low?

Other owners claim to get 80+ on a regular basis :blink:? Bike has about 1700 miles on it now. Bought it used w/ about 1150 miles on it. Air pressure set at high settings (I weigh about 210 lbs) and engine oil's been changed (Yamalube 10w40) about 400 miles ago.

How big is your gallon? An imperial gallon is larger than your US gallon so that is the difference.

I,m getting around 60mpg average from my XVS250.I think that is reasonable as it,s having to lug 18 stone around.It,s a 2001 model with just over 10k miles.

• 2 months later...

I am riding a 2008 - my first tank I got 67 mpg, every tank since then has been a consistent 81 mpg. USA gallons. I typically have to switch to reserve at about 156 miles.

Mostly surburban commuting, 30-50 mph, mostly flat, low hills, just me and my 200+ pounds.

I am riding a 2008 - my first tank I got 67 mpg, every tank since then has been a consistent 81 mpg. USA gallons. I typically have to switch to reserve at about 156 miles.

Mostly surburban commuting, 30-50 mph, mostly flat, low hills, just me and my 200+ pounds.

Don't mean to jack this thread, but how do you like the Vstar 250? How is it power wise for a lighter rider say in the 145lb range? I have been showing the wife some of the smaller bikes, and she really likes the looks of this one. She wants to learn how to ride next year, and I was thinking this might be the perfect bike for her.

Don't mean to jack this thread, but how do you like the Vstar 250? How is it power wise for a lighter rider say in the 145lb range? I have been showing the wife some of the smaller bikes, and she really likes the looks of this one. She wants to learn how to ride next year, and I was thinking this might be the perfect bike for her.

I love it, especially for new riders (I hadn't ridden in 20 years). Essentialy picked it over the Rebel because my wife preferred the look, and her and our teenage daughter are planning on learning to ride next spring. It has enough power for around town without having the extra power that can get a new rider in trouble.

Only two cons that I see - I would not take it on a crowded highway because after you got it up to 65-70 mph you won't have a lot left if you need a burst of acceleration to escape some idiot, etc. And it is light weight - which makes it easy to handle, but also means it can be blown about a bit. That's a trade off - some good, some bad.

I am using it for daily commuting, an my wife just wants to ride around town, and maybe trips on country roads - those tasks it excels at. In summary I'd say it has enough power for me but should not be over-powering for anyone.

Only two cons that I see - I would not take it on a crowded highway because after you got it up to 65-70 mph you won't have a lot left if you need a burst of acceleration to escape some idiot, etc. And it is light weight - which makes it easy to handle, but also means it can be blown about a bit. That's a trade off - some good, some bad.

I never even thought about the problems with the wind, since my bikes have always been a bit heavier. Thanks for the info, still sounds like it might work great for her. Any time we plan on making a cross country trip that might include a lot of traffic, she'll still most likely be on the back of my bike anyways.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online