Buying a 2008 R6

Shafibear
This post is 5616 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys,

I'm thinking about buying a 2008 R6 in graphite (with the red logo) and just wanted to know the differences between 2008 and 2007/2006 models apart from the different colour schemes. Are there any engineering upgrades at all?

Secondly when I do purchase one , what are the best options for removing the ugly indicators? I heard about some flush mount ones and an integrated rear light with indicators built in (all found on ebay). Any problems with MOT's, particularly with 'smoked' ones?

Any help would be sweet, I can't wait to get an R6!

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi guys,

I'm thinking about buying a 2008 R6 in graphite (with the red logo) and just wanted to know the differences between 2008 and 2007/2006 models apart from the different colour schemes. Are there any engineering upgrades at all?

Secondly when I do purchase one , what are the best options for removing the ugly indicators? I heard about some flush mount ones and an integrated rear light with indicators built in (all found on ebay). Any problems with MOT's, particularly with 'smoked' ones?

Any help would be sweet, I can't wait to get an R6!

Thanks

mate if i was u i would wait for the 2009 r6 now as its probably going to be changed totaly to look even better or at least better colour and upgraded a little. the 2008 was changed a little and all the faults with the 2006/07 r6 were rectified with the 2008. i think its going to be worth the wait we will know by september what the new beast looks like. or even have you heard about the new r1 that is going to be as small as the 08 r6 which is also coming out soon.

Ok thanks for the info. I wasn't too sure about the upgrades I just thought it was colour schemes because they look the same.

To be honest it'll be around Jan/Feb time until i'm able to buy one and even then i'll only have about 8 grand so not sure whether I'll have enough for the 09 model. Also it'll be my first bike so I don't want to go too wild and get an R1!

Cheers,

mate if i was u i would wait for the 2009 r6 now as its probably going to be changed totaly to look even better or at least better colour and upgraded a little. the 2008 was changed a little and all the faults with the 2006/07 r6 were rectified with the 2008. i think its going to be worth the wait we will know by september what the new beast looks like.

2009 r6 is exactly the same as the 08, with slight colour changes.

06/07 is different bike to 08/09 it might not look it but its improved all round, if you check this weeks mcn i think its DK have an offer on the r6 you get the 0% finance, but you get akrapovic, tail tidy, seat cowl, shoei raid helmet, sabre leathers, loads of freebies, they wont off that on the 09. if you dont hit the tracks, then the 07 bike is just as good for you, if youv seen a big saving on them or something.

as regards to ironing out the faults?? i dont think there were faults, they improved the midrange by putting the variable inlet tracts, new chassis which i think is magnesium alloy.it still has the same brakes and suspension, but the engine has been changed loads to maybe suit the road a little more.

underneath is a brand new bike for 08/09 the next change will be 2010

2009 r6 is exactly the same as the 08, with slight colour changes.

06/07 is different bike to 08/09 it might not look it but its improved all round, if you check this weeks mcn i think its DK have an offer on the r6 you get the 0% finance, but you get akrapovic, tail tidy, seat cowl, shoei raid helmet, sabre leathers, loads of freebies, they wont off that on the 09. if you dont hit the tracks, then the 07 bike is just as good for you, if youv seen a big saving on them or something.

as regards to ironing out the faults?? i dont think there were faults, they improved the midrange by putting the variable inlet tracts, new chassis which i think is magnesium alloy.it still has the same brakes and suspension, but the engine has been changed loads to maybe suit the road a little more.

underneath is a brand new bike for 08/09 the next change will be 2010

that deale is George White (swindon/london), bear in mind that other dealers are doing R6s without all the free stuff but with yamahas 0% deal for fully £1000 less.

Yeah, just looked on DK motorcycles, they got the 08 r6 for £5999 new but its late 2007 colour schemes. Not the 08 colours (graphite/comp. white and blue)

Ideally I wanted black with the black forks (08 graphite colour). But here they got black with gold forks. Still mechanically the same bike I guess, just think the gold forks look a tad tacky.

Also any info on dealers that do the 0% finance would be useful. I'm looking at how I can pay for this badboy!

Also just one more thing. The guy on the phone from DK motorcycles said the £5999 2008 R6 are American imports. Saying the only difference is that the American R6's have reflectors on the wheels 'that just unbolt off.'

Is there anything else should be aware about on the American R6?

Thanks

Also just one more thing. The guy on the phone from DK motorcycles said the £5999 2008 R6 are American imports. Saying the only difference is that the American R6's have reflectors on the wheels 'that just unbolt off.'

Is there anything else should be aware about on the American R6?

Thanks

The imports dont have the yam immobiliser and there is another difference i can not think of - ask your dealer also the warranty is with dk not yam - i would go for a uk bike. i got my uk 08 r6 for £6800 with tax on 0% from my Yamaha dealer. You may get it even cheaper now the season is changing!!

The 08 bike is packed with technology and is an adrenaline machine at high rpm

i would be interested to learn more about these indicator modifications

Rear integrated tail light: for instance http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/YAMAHA-YZF-R6-2008-2...id=p3286.c0.m14

and the flush mount fn ones are by motrax (these will pass MOT i think, but the rear ones won't) However the rear ones are 'plug and play' so I guess you could keep switching them around):

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Flushmount-LED-Indic...id=p3286.c0.m14

I think it'd make a whoel lot of difference to styling.

Also a good deal on the Yamaha as mentoned earlier is the Georgwhite offer. 08 R6 for £7499 with ull leather race suite, shoei raid helmet, race boots, double bouble screen, micron slip on can, rear seat cover, front and rear stands, crash bungs, monster chain and s4 datatool alarm thrown in. I think it's also 0% yamaha finance.

Rear integrated tail light: for instance http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/YAMAHA-YZF-R6-2008-2...id=p3286.c0.m14

and the flush mount fn ones are by motrax (these will pass MOT i think, but the rear ones won't) However the rear ones are 'plug and play' so I guess you could keep switching them around):

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Flushmount-LED-Indic...id=p3286.c0.m14

I think it'd make a whoel lot of difference to styling.

Also a good deal on the Yamaha as mentoned earlier is the Georgwhite offer. 08 R6 for £7499 with ull leather race suite, shoei raid helmet, race boots, double bouble screen, micron slip on can, rear seat cover, front and rear stands, crash bungs, monster chain and s4 datatool alarm thrown in. I think it's also 0% yamaha finance.

This link shows an good example

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=XWvbTP9cFrE&...feature=related

that deale is George White (swindon/london), bear in mind that other dealers are doing R6s without all the free stuff but with yamahas 0% deal for fully £1000 less.

that is with the 0% thats yamha not the dealer.

Yeah, just looked on DK motorcycles, they got the 08 r6 for £5999 new but its late 2007 colour schemes. Not the 08 colours (graphite/comp. white and blue)

it isnt 2007 COLOURS, its a 2007 bike on 08 plates.the colour scheme changed with the new bike, as i said, it look similar, but 07-08 are different bikes, and if you want the 07 colours which was the black i had with the matt side panel, and the tribal tatoo things, with red painted rings on the wheels. the 08 bike is the shitty graphite one, but it does have black forks the same as the old one, the only 'new' r6 with gold forks is the blue, even the white and red dont have em this year.

the bikes at 6000 tend to be last years models on new plates, which is ok when its just a colour change, but this is a model change last time, i have seen bikes as old as FZR Exups On new plates.

the imports tend to have different colour schemes, silver, met red a diff white and red to ours, and the stupid flame, that no one over 4, or not american would want! plus the reflectors, engine ect same, not sure if they have dunlop quals on.

me personaly, i would only ever bike my bike off yamaha. not someone who sells any franchise they can get hold off, but im very picky, i go all the way to fleetwood Raceways for my Yams,

just go to the dealer, look at the bikes, take one out, if they wont let you take one out, you dont buy a bike off em, there is visible differences between the two bikes your on about thought, 07 to 08.

that is with the 0% thats yamha not the dealer.

it isnt 2007 COLOURS, its a 2007 bike on 08 plates.the colour scheme changed with the new bike, as i said, it look similar, but 07-08 are different bikes, and if you want the 07 colours which was the black i had with the matt side panel, and the tribal tatoo things, with red painted rings on the wheels. the 08 bike is the shitty graphite one, but it does have black forks the same as the old one, the only 'new' r6 with gold forks is the blue, even the white and red dont have em this year.

the bikes at 6000 tend to be last years models on new plates, which is ok when its just a colour change, but this is a model change last time, i have seen bikes as old as FZR Exups On new plates.

the imports tend to have different colour schemes, silver, met red a diff white and red to ours, and the stupid flame, that no one over 4, or not american would want! plus the reflectors, engine ect same, not sure if they have dunlop quals on.

me personaly, i would only ever bike my bike off yamaha. not someone who sells any franchise they can get hold off, but im very picky, i go all the way to fleetwood Raceways for my Yams,

just go to the dealer, look at the bikes, take one out, if they wont let you take one out, you dont buy a bike off em, there is visible differences between the two bikes your on about thought, 07 to 08.

thanks mate.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi, I'm in the same situation, I'm looking at a new 08 R6 from George White for 7499 with all the extra kit. I don't need the leathers, boots or helmet so they will probably go on e-bay. But all the other kit will come in useful.

My question is around the Micron GP Can. I've been told that Micron have gone bust and that the cans were made for 06/07 R6's not the 08. Is this true and does it matter? Where can I see a picture of one as George White don't have any?

Thanks,

have an 08 r6 in competition white - although all the colour schemes are good. I also had a 56 reg r6 - this one with the variable intake trumpets does have a little more midrange - and also has a better feeling to the handling - I think it is a fantastic bike. It needs to be thrashed to get the best out of it, but apart from a little wrist ache it can still be bimbled around on when you have to. I think the build quality of these new yams is at least equal to Honda now + longer service intervals and lower servicing costs in general - I can ride it for 2 to 3 hours at a time and found it fine for a week in France + one of the best looking and sounding bikes on the market - dont bother with after market can, but tail tidy and official db screen a must :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Hi, I'm in the same situation, I'm looking at a new 08 R6 from George White for 7499 with all the extra kit. I don't need the leathers, boots or helmet so they will probably go on e-bay. But all the other kit will come in useful.

My question is around the Micron GP Can. I've been told that Micron have gone bust and that the cans were made for 06/07 R6's not the 08. Is this true and does it matter? Where can I see a picture of one as George White don't have any?

Thanks,

Micron has gone bust and a lot of there business and contracts have gone to scorpion, the gear that george white usually give away are 2-3 seasons old. consists of mainly FT (frank thomas) clothing which have been discontinued and GW buy the gear off them by the container load, also the clothing was never rrp in the shops before let alone now. DONT BE FOOLED!!