Whats it worth

CHUCKY
This post is 5707 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

thats a rs125

a 2stroke

its a race bike with a number plate, so commuting maybe isnt the best

2stokes tend to be more un reliable compared to a 4 stroke, but members that have had the rs125 will tel you its a good bike!

I know its not a yamaha but is this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=015 a decent bike? It is for learning on and as a cheap commuter. What do you think it is worth. Also is the rear shock easy to change?

Cheers

Worth wise over a grand. Yes they are good to learn on and can be reliable if you look after them. Ive had 2 in the past. As long as they are run on very good 2stroke oil and maintained they are good. Rear shockers are reasonably easy to do with a bit of know how. They cost about 60 -£80 second hand possibly less. Better to get a new one though. They can be little monsters to ride, very powerfull derestricted for a 125, so the inexperienced may need to look for a different type of bike, a 4 stroke as Shockz said. But remember, you may need deep pockets to repair it, a blown engine can cost 200 -300 quid to repair!!! The one your looking at seems to have had a less than a good life to say its a 2004 model, its had many replacement parts for one reason or another. So is the work thats been done, a good standard or is it bodged? If its still on its original engine bore...how many miles has it done? I used to get 20.000 miles out of a new piston, bore and rings set. (Yes ive done a lot of miles on these bikes, around 80,000ish) before she started to smoke a bit too much, and around 25,000 before i blew the engine, but i did used to play with big 1200 zzrs and zx12s and stay in front of them ;) Being a 2 stroke, its the piston and bore that wears....these machines redline at 11,000 rpm..thats a lot of revs for one piston!!!! Hark at me, I could go on for ages about these. PM me if you have any other Qs

Point 1 Learning machine.....maybe ..but not for the faint hearted

Point 2 Can cost big money to repair

Point 3 If looked after, will be a good machine

Point 4 Damn good fun!!!

Point 5 I want another!

Thanks for the info guys. Another bike I might look at for commuting is this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/YAMAHA-XT-125-R-2006...86.c0.m14.l1318 . What do people think of that and whats it worth?

Cheers

Dan

Cricky! for one extreme to the other.. but I might add it's the right way to go (IMHO).

I've had sportsbikes, tourers, 4 cylinder, V-Twin, Twin in-line and singles. I'll confess that I like the trail bike ride possition much better than head down arse up, you see more of whats going on and that's great for learning, as to is the balance og these bikes, they are just made for easy control so another good point for you.

At a Grand, you'll get a good all-rounder (I had a Varadero that could hold off all but the bravest of sportsbikes through the twisy bits), easy to ride, cheap to run, great fun on the twisty bits and around town. Maybe a bit crappy for wet weather long distance stuff as they lack any kind of screen, but you can get screens to fit with a bit of imagination! (look at my TTR), on the plus side you can get hand guards that really do keep the weather away from your hands.

The XT is a good bike, it's big enough that car's won't try to take the p2$$ too much, and it's agile - IMO a good starter bike.

For a first bike, I'd alway point people towards a sit-up style rather than a sports bike, espcially if your intention is to look towards doing your test. In the 125 market you really either have trail or sports bikes, the stuff in the middle aren't really the sorts of bike you can live with.

At the end of the day, you need to have a sit on these and see what you think, beware though of sexy looking bikes - remember you're learning so sexy is something you can move to when you've got some experience under your belt.

There's only one person who can make the descision, and that's the one parting with the cash!

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

I'm still looking. I can get this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...E:X:RTQ:GB:1123 cheap. Has anyone got any experiences with these bikes?

Dan

No experience with these, but as they are Honda copies....Are the parts available easily? Would a Honda part fit instead? Look around near you to see. May be better with an actual Honda....or a nice YAMAHA!!!

Worth wise over a grand. Yes they are good to learn on and can be reliable if you look after them. Ive had 2 in the past. As long as they are run on very good 2stroke oil and maintained they are good. Rear shockers are reasonably easy to do with a bit of know how. They cost about 60 -£80 second hand possibly less. Better to get a new one though. They can be little monsters to ride, very powerfull derestricted for a 125, so the inexperienced may need to look for a different type of bike, a 4 stroke as Shockz said. But remember, you may need deep pockets to repair it, a blown engine can cost 200 -300 quid to repair!!! The one your looking at seems to have had a less than a good life to say its a 2004 model, its had many replacement parts for one reason or another. So is the work thats been done, a good standard or is it bodged? If its still on its original engine bore...how many miles has it done? I used to get 20.000 miles out of a new piston, bore and rings set. (Yes ive done a lot of miles on these bikes, around 80,000ish) before she started to smoke a bit too much, and around 25,000 before i blew the engine, but i did used to play with big 1200 zzrs and zx12s and stay in front of them ;) Being a 2 stroke, its the piston and bore that wears....these machines redline at 11,000 rpm..thats a lot of revs for one piston!!!! Hark at me, I could go on for ages about these. PM me if you have any other Qs

Point 1 Learning machine.....maybe ..but not for the faint hearted

Point 2 Can cost big money to repair

Point 3 If looked after, will be a good machine

Point 4 Damn good fun!!!

Point 5 I want another!

20,000 oout of a piston thats amazing! the haynes manual for them states renewal after 6-7,000

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

I'm still looking and need to be careful because I don't know much about bikes.

Whats this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...E:X:RTQ:GB:1123

worth?

Dan

Price isnt 2 bad, a little steep for a S Reg at Buy it now.£800 -£1000 really is the limit. But check how many miles it has done since the rebuild. If its been ridden hard (as it sounds from the description), you may be needing another rebuild soon....

Looks nice with the Red Bull fairings.Not original colour, so suspect its been down the road a time or 2. Its not the deristricted version as it states its the 25BHP, not the 33BHP, but maybe a misprint. Tuned engine.....maybe, maybe not. Has it its original exhaust?

The rewire aspect...what needed rewiring?.....and was it done without black tape and a few twists of bare wires...ie:a professional job.

Buying a second or in this case a 6th hand RS125, you will find scratches and damage (Because typically they are a learning bike), people learn how to fall from these.

It all depends on what you want from a bike, yes the RS can be a good bike, but costs to repair are steep, even second hand bits can be as much as a Big bike. Rear shocks are a weakness, check if its the original, if so, that may need changing soon too.

Ive had 2 of these monsters and they where an X reg and a W reg. I paid around £1100 for the X reg and £600 for the W in the form of a swap. If your a fat git like me, the fork oil may need changing to provide a better response.

Check what price your insurance for one of these is going to be.

Hope im helping here and not putting you off......

Thanks for the advice. I know its different but http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=001 that is another bike i'm watching. What do we reckon it is worth?

Dan

Ive no experience with this type of bike, but she looks well for her age. Heres a link to a couple of newer ones..Linky

Brand fire new one at £2600....

Heres a site that may be usefull for comparing prices......The types of bikes are limited, but may be a helpBike valuation linky

Have fun.....

try looking into buying a yammy ;) seen as they are the best!

• 1 month later...