Is this bike physically big enough???

This post is 5774 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I've ridden bikes for most of my life but never on road, well apart from a Jincheng Monkey Bike (Dont laugh)

I've just got rid of a Yammy Quad and as I work in the centre of Cardiff I feel the only way forward is to buy a bike, I've looked into everything and its going to be a 125 but i'm 6'3" and I need something beefy size wise. I dont want to go fast as the traffic is mental and its all 30mph limits on my route anyway, i've looked at what I think is everything and I'm swaying towards an XT125R as it seems the beefiest and nicest looking bike I can get, it also doesnt look too small for a 125.

Anybody else a bit on the lofty side got one of these bikes??

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I'm gonna get lynched for this, but the Honda Varadero XL125 is a physically large bike - It's a V-Twin too! These are supposed to be an Adventure Tourer type bike, but I wouldn't like to try and take one off road at all.

For a 125 it's fairly nippy, tops out at about 60-70, but looks more like a 600 than a 125 - My wife has one so if you want a picture I can oblige.

I'm gonna get lynched for this, but the Honda Varadero XL125 is a physically large bike - It's a V-Twin too! These are supposed to be an Adventure Tourer type bike, but I wouldn't like to try and take one off road at all.

For a 125 it's fairly nippy, tops out at about 60-70, but looks more like a 600 than a 125 - My wife has one so if you want a picture I can oblige.

Oh yes, forgot about those, they would make a damn good commuter, especially for being a twin

Guest FZ6 GEOFF S2

Sent him a PM with about the Honda so no one new! lol

Rite thats two of us getting lynched now! Help :lol:

Sent him a PM with about the Honda so no one new! lol

Rite thats two of us getting lynched now! Help :lol:

Lol, thanks for the sound advice gents. After much consideration and look/feel tests I opted for 2007 Yahama XT125R, got to resit my CBT next Thursday when I pick the bike up as CBT has expired. Thinking of doing DAS on 125 to get my restricted licence quickly and maybe move on up in 2 years time.

I really fancied the Honda but couldnt justify the 3.5k on a 125. I guess I'll be on here alot more asking for advice and stupid questions!

Thinking of doing DAS on 125 to get my restricted licence quickly and maybe move on up in 2 years time.

Do it quick! Before it get's difficult to find a test centre, otherwise you'll need to do it with those really dangerous cones all around you :blink:

I've an XT, a bit different in that it's got 660Z after it - but nevertheless a great bike!

Do it quick! Before it get's difficult to find a test centre, otherwise you'll need to do it with those really dangerous cones all around you :blink:

I've an XT, a bit different in that it's got 660Z after it - but nevertheless a great bike!

Cool, very nice bike. One day maybe!

I've been constantly warned about car drivers all week, lots of people beginning to worry since I said I was buying a bike! Apparently they just dont give a stuff about bikers?! Hope I dont find out!

Cool, very nice bike. One day maybe!

I've been constantly warned about car drivers all week, lots of people beginning to worry since I said I was buying a bike! Apparently they just dont give a stuff about bikers?! Hope I dont find out!

A bikers "job" is to look out for those people who have not seen you. Those that do see you you wont notice much, its those buggers who dont see or hear you coming. Keep away from the kerb (because mr car driver will overtake and shove you in it!) , dont tail gate, overtake when their is enough room and passing distance, DONT go over the metal grids on the road cos that ends in a fall (although I have slid round bends 2 up on those things and not fallen), if you have to because of space on the road, bolt upright is the answer. Read the road well ahead, dont stare at the back of the car infront, be braking before they do....allways look for the escape if something infront happens ie: the car infront stops suddenly with no brake lights, go down the right side, not the left. Look for wet patches...if it looks wet, it usually is and it could be diesel. Always ride with your lights on and if your in doubt they've seen you, high beam with a horn as last resort.

Safe riding ;)

A bikers "job" is to look out for those people who have not seen you. Those that do see you you wont notice much, its those buggers who dont see or hear you coming. Keep away from the kerb (because mr car driver will overtake and shove you in it!) , dont tail gate, overtake when their is enough room and passing distance, DONT go over the metal grids on the road cos that ends in a fall (although I have slid round bends 2 up on those things and not fallen), if you have to because of space on the road, bolt upright is the answer. Read the road well ahead, dont stare at the back of the car infront, be braking before they do....allways look for the escape if something infront happens ie: the car infront stops suddenly with no brake lights, go down the right side, not the left. Look for wet patches...if it looks wet, it usually is and it could be diesel. Always ride with your lights on and if your in doubt they've seen you, high beam with a horn as last resort.

Safe riding ;)

Great thanks very much for the advice, glad I've had this advice now too. Fingers crossed I'll be able to do my best to avoid the wreckless car drivers!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online