Rich TRX850

bodgley
This post is 5789 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

After 17,000 miles of running well, my TRX850 has started to run rich on both cylinders. It is rich enough to foul the plugs and cause misfiring at low revs. I believe the ignition is ok as it appears fine at higer revs I have changed the plugs and air filter, checked that the chokes are not sticking, renewed the choke mechanisms, cleaned the carbs several times, but they look spotless anyway, checked the diaphragms and throttle position sensor and checked for a blocked carb breather. I suspect that the bike has been dynojetted but as it was running fine before this problem this should not be part of the problem. I have run out of ideas, any suggestions would be more than welcome.

Thanks,

Mark.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Have you checked the air filter isn't blocked?

It has a new air filter and I have tried running it without an air filter. It still gives the same symptoms.

Thanks for the suggestion

Mark.

• 2 weeks later...

After 17,000 miles of running well, my TRX850 has started to run rich on both cylinders. It is rich enough to foul the plugs and cause misfiring at low revs. I believe the ignition is ok as it appears fine at higer revs I have changed the plugs and air filter, checked that the chokes are not sticking, renewed the choke mechanisms, cleaned the carbs several times, but they look spotless anyway, checked the diaphragms and throttle position sensor and checked for a blocked carb breather. I suspect that the bike has been dynojetted but as it was running fine before this problem this should not be part of the problem. I have run out of ideas, any suggestions would be more than welcome.

Thanks,

Mark.

Hi it more than likely worn 'emulsion tubes' as they fail on TRX's and TDM's alot.

Success, well sort of. I have changed the emulsion tubes for a pair from an old set of carbs and it solved the problem. However, at higher speeds the bike now cuts just like fuel starvation when reserve is needed. Anyone know if standard or dynojet emulsion tubes are used and what else is changed when a dynojet kit is used?

Regards Mark

[

quote name='mr benn' date='Jun 26 2008, 10:48 PM' post='57575']

like wicky says, emulsion tubes for sure. not a major job or expense.

ATTENTION!! Dear friend be careful.

I had the same problem with mine. It ran rich and you could even smell the gasoline when you drove behind my bike. Then after a while it was really hard to keep it running under 1500 rpm. It seemed like the carburator was not ok...

- smels gasoline, and runs rich

- does not run at all under 1500rpm, later not under 3000rpm

- problems with starting

These problemes occures even when, new spark plugs, new air filter, fresh gasoline.

Then I took my bike to Yamaha Center in Finland (aúthorized dealer) for valve adjustment and carburator check. The outcome was that my head is broken and the valves cannot be adjusted anymore. And the head cannot be fixed. Now I need to find me a totally new engine...

I sincerely hope that this is not the case with your bike.

So, first check that the oil is going to the head!!! There is a small screw on the side of the head. Loosen it and start the engine. After a minute it should leak a littlebit oil from that loosen bolt (do not remove the bolt). Check Haynes manual for this!

I recommend you to check also the valve adjustement.

Best of luck!

Kristian

I have adjusted the valve clearances and they were well overdue. Two valves had almost no clearance at all, but no damage has been caused. If I had left them any longer the valve seats would have been damaged. t is a very tedious job, almost as bad as the last Ducati I worked on. Thanks for your input

Regards Mark.

ATTENTION!! Dear friend be careful.

I had the same problem with mine. It ran rich and you could even smell the gasoline when you drove behind my bike. Then after a while it was really hard to keep it running under 1500 rpm. It seemed like the carburator was not ok...

- smels gasoline, and runs rich

- does not run at all under 1500rpm, later not under 3000rpm

- problems with starting

These problemes occures even when, new spark plugs, new air filter, fresh gasoline.

Then I took my bike to Yamaha Center in Finland (aúthorized dealer) for valve adjustment and carburator check. The outcome was that my head is broken and the valves cannot be adjusted anymore. And the head cannot be fixed. Now I need to find me a totally new engine...

I sincerely hope that this is not the case with your bike.

So, first check that the oil is going to the head!!! There is a small screw on the side of the head. Loosen it and start the engine. After a minute it should leak a littlebit oil from that loosen bolt (do not remove the bolt). Check Haynes manual for this!

I recommend you to check also the valve adjustement.

Best of luck!

Kristian

almost no clearance is not good but when you get zero clearance you will have problems starting.

DJ kit has no emulsion tubes in it. It contains needles and main jets.

you can buy emulsion tubes from Kedo in Germany for about £10 each. Sounds like you may have created a problem while changing the emulsion tubes if it's not fuelling correctly at higher revs.

Rich running can cause bore washing, where the fuel washes the oil away and leads to lubrication failure.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online