Newbie and Want an XT125R

bexman
This post is 5807 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Morning all, as you can see i'm new here.

I've had a few off road bikes and more recently got rid of a Blaster 200cc Yamaha quad.

About 18 months ago I got a new job in the centre of Cardiff and ive been catching buses ever since and it pains me! It takes 50 minutes to go 4.5 miles on a bus!

If I can convince the missus and im trying my best I want to get an XT125R. Now I've done my CBT but about 5 years ago so I guess thats expired??

I have a few questions I hope your helpful lot may be able to answer!

1) I got my Driving Licence in 1996, so do I need to do another CBT to ride a 125?

2) I'm 6'2" and 15 stone, is this bike going to be big enough for me?

3) What sort of price can I expect to pay for insurance, (im 30yrs old and have a clean car licence since 1996)

4) How much is tax on one of these babies?

Thanks in advance, if anybody has any selling points to convince the missus please add them too!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

If I can convince the missus and im trying my best I want to get an XT125R. Now I've done my CBT but about 5 years ago so I guess thats expired??

Yes it has, only last 2 years then you need to do it again to validate your motorcycle entitlement.

I have a few questions I hope your helpful lot may be able to answer!

1) I got my Driving Licence in 1996, so do I need to do another CBT to ride a 125?

As above.

2) I'm 6'2" and 15 stone, is this bike going to be big enough for me?

Why not go down to the dealer and have a sit on one - if the dealer is even 1/4 decent they won't mind.

3) What sort of price can I expect to pay for insurance, (im 30yrs old and have a clean car licence since 1996)

I just got my missus a Varadero 125, she's paid £140, she is however 21 (for the 17th time! - Work it out...)

4) How much is tax on one of these babies?

£15 a year, probaly something like what it costs for the bus for a week.

When I got back on the bike some 10 years ago (after a sizable break) I purchased some life insurance, cost £16 a month for £200K cover, that helped a bit.

Why not consider Direct Access - you've got until October before the new hazard avoidance stuff comes in, then you can get any bike you please ? It'll cost around £100 for your CBT every 2 years, or another £200-£300ish (depending on the riding schools around you) to have the full training. You'll be a better safer rider too.

Good luck with the wife.... B)

Darren

When I got back on the bike some 10 years ago (after a sizable break) I purchased some life insurance, cost £16 a month for £200K cover, that helped a bit.

Darren

Young Darren, useful info that but are you sure it covers motorcycle riding? If it does, why not tell us more about it