Coincidence?

Mrfurious
This post is 5796 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have a R6 (53 plate) which has suddenly developed the dreaded TPS (throttle position sensor) fault, basically the engine keeps cutting out luckily this has only happened while idling usually sat at lights in neutral, I've spoken to my local yamaha dealer who initially told me there was a product recall on my model, I've also read various posts on the R6forum detailing the same problem, one particular guy had a major accident due to the engine cutting out during an overtaking manoeuvre which resulted in the poor fellow clipping an oncoming car and is now unable to ride ever again!After speaking to Yamaha themselves apparently the R6 was never recalled with this problem it was the FZR that had the problem hmmmmm!!!

Why is there so much confusion between Yamaha and the dealers and why are they not singing from the same hymn sheet and why the hell are they not listening to the guys riding the bikes, I cannot believe that this is a coincidence!!!

I've now gotta fork out £150+ to get a new TPS fitted, thanks Yamaha! I love my bike but with the lack of post sales service and confusion from Yamaha I'm seriously considering buying a Honda next time round!!!

Anybody else experienced the TPS problem?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I have a R6 (53 plate) which has suddenly developed the dreaded TPS (throttle position sensor) fault, basically the engine keeps cutting out luckily this has only happened while idling usually sat at lights in neutral, I've spoken to my local yamaha dealer who initially told me there was a product recall on my model, I've also read various posts on the R6forum detailing the same problem, one particular guy had a major accident due to the engine cutting out during an overtaking manoeuvre which resulted in the poor fellow clipping an oncoming car and is now unable to ride ever again!After speaking to Yamaha themselves apparently the R6 was never recalled with this problem it was the FZR that had the problem hmmmmm!!!

Why is there so much confusion between Yamaha and the dealers and why are they not singing from the same hymn sheet and why the hell are they not listening to the guys riding the bikes, I cannot believe that this is a coincidence!!!

I've now gotta fork out £150+ to get a new TPS fitted, thanks Yamaha! I love my bike but with the lack of post sales service and confusion from Yamaha I'm seriously considering buying a Honda next time round!!!

Hiya, TPS problem on my 2003 XJ900 Divvy, went the same way at 46000 miles (Had covered 35000 miles in 4 months). I ordered one for a hundred quid, fitted it myself using the on bike settup procedure. Divvy has a pre start test and servicing mode. The daft women at the Yamaha shop said Id have to leave the bike with them to have it fitted....ok..its fastened on with "anti ordinary person screws", but a kit to fit almost any type of weird screw head cost around £8. She said It would have to be connected to there computer...wrong... connected to the onboard computer on the bike. I talked her through the entire refitting procedure.

She wasnt happy and nearly refused to sell me the silly plastic item.

Its sad that such a good make of machine has so many issues when it comes down to customer service...but isnt that happening everywhere now?

Hmmmm interesting, I've reluctantly ordered the part from Yamaha costing £77, the dealer is charging me 1.5hrs labour to fit but I may just try and fit it myself, I'm getting increasingly fed up with being sucked dry by the leeches!!!

All pointers extremely welcome!!!!

Hmmmm interesting, I've reluctantly ordered the part from Yamaha costing £77, the dealer is charging me 1.5hrs labour to fit but I may just try and fit it myself, I'm getting increasingly fed up with being sucked dry by the leeches!!!

All pointers extremely welcome!!!!

Im not sure whereabouts yours is situated....this maybe the labour..as with some machines you have to displace the carbs to gain access or be good with a angled screwdriver. Mine is on the end of the carbs on the left side and is keyed to the throttle shaft. Easy to get to.

Make sure you disconnect the wiring first.

Its easy enough to set up once youve replaced it. Id cetainly check a Haynes manual first before you have a go, I can see the yamaha peeps saying "Oh well you tried, now its broke, you want us to fix it? "

P

• 4 weeks later...

ok it doesn't mention anyting bout R6's but look at this.

http://www.carpe-tdm.net/ipb/index.php?showtopic=2135

When I had problems with my TDM900, the shop mentioned the TPS recall for that, too. Despite it being on a 51 plate, Yamaha replaced it this year, free under warranty. If there IS a recall issue, Yamaha shouldn't charge you anything. If they were prepared to replace a part on my 6-year old bike, I would have thought the same applied to a 4-year old R6. Perhaps you should have a pop at your dealer.....

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online