XS650 Correct Viscosity Suspension Fluid

Croupier
This post is 5844 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everybody, I'm new here but as I glanced (and searched) around I could tell you've all contributed to a valuable resource.

My bikes a 1975 XS650 B but I know for a fact that it has the later model forks that are beefier (1978, I believe). I'm basically slowly checking the maintenance on everything since I bought the bike last summer and need to ride to escape these insane gas prices soon.

My question is pretty simple: the local Yamaha shop has various fork oils and fluids (including an awesome looking Japanese import, OEM, Yamaha, tin canister of fork oil for $30) and I just grabbed some 10wt Rock Oil figuring it was probably going to work but I really didn't even notice that there were various viscosities. Which viscosity is best for my set-up? Does it depend at all on preference, because I really don't have one. Any suggestions or tips would help (because the 650Wiki and my Clymer manual didn't and, to be honest, the kids they hire at the Yamaha shop are... dumb... sorry).

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi everybody, I'm new here but as I glanced (and searched) around I could tell you've all contributed to a valuable resource.

My bikes a 1975 XS650 B but I know for a fact that it has the later model forks that are beefier (1978, I believe). I'm basically slowly checking the maintenance on everything since I bought the bike last summer and need to ride to escape these insane gas prices soon.

My question is pretty simple: the local Yamaha shop has various fork oils and fluids (including an awesome looking Japanese import, OEM, Yamaha, tin canister of fork oil for $30) and I just grabbed some 10wt Rock Oil figuring it was probably going to work but I really didn't even notice that there we various viscosities. Which viscosity is best for my set-up? Does it depend at all on preference, because I really don't have one. Any suggestions or tips would help (because the 650Wiki and my Clymer manual didn't and, to be honest, the kids they hire at the Yamaha shop are... dumb... sorry).

my yamaha shop manual for my xs500b calls for plain old 10w 30

my yamaha shop manual for my xs500b calls for plain old 10w 30

my bike takes 10w 30 engine oil or 20w fork oil. i drained out the 10w 30 as it didn't perform, the 20w is much better.

my bike takes 10w 30 engine oil or 20w fork oil. i drained out the 10w 30 as it didn't perform, the 20w is much better.

Did they feel kind of spongy? mine have felt that way ever since i did them last.

Did they feel kind of spongy? mine have felt that way ever since i did them last.

yea they did, even blew a seal last year, that's when I changed to 20W

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online