50 max

78special
This post is 5845 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys I finally have most of my bike done other than the seat and a few other cosmetics. Anyway took it out today for what i was hoping to be a nice drive... I could only go 50mph max it's not the carbs Im almost certain because i had them apart twice and they are clean. I'm running on one cylinder cause I pulled the left plug wire while bike was running and it did what it should cut the bike off. Put that plug wire back on started bike then pulled left side and bike stayed running!!! Thought it would maybe be no spark pulled the plug started bike I had spark and am getting gas.....So what does this mean my valve is stuck on this side or what????? What can I do to fix this I know you all are gonna say do a compression test dont have a tester at the moment. But when I get one later today or tomorrow compression should be what about 145 or so??? Anyhelp youguys can give me I would appreciate it thanks all.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

No it's a xs400 special 5o is the max I can get out of it!

have you checked the vacuum pipe on the right side is attached to the inlet stub?

sparkies from plugs?

checked strobe on timing side?

is the right spark plus wet?

I got it worked out and can I say WOW what a surprise this little thing has a lot more pep than my other 400. What I did was fired it up and on the left side the cylinder that wasnt running I took a rag and put my hand tightly over that carb and reved it to about 3k and i guess it sucked any remaining crud out of the carb and it putter and popped and smoked and then it worked out and man am I so very surprised and happy. I hit 80 mph in a heart beat. I think I may need to go over my other 400 and check things out it runs fine but doesnt have the zip that this one does.

I got it worked out and can I say WOW what a surprise this little thing has a lot more pep than my other 400. What I did was fired it up and on the left side the cylinder that wasnt running I took a rag and put my hand tightly over that carb and reved it to about 3k and i guess it sucked any remaining crud out of the carb and it putter and popped and smoked and then it worked out and man am I so very surprised and happy. I hit 80 mph in a heart beat. I think I may need to go over my other 400 and check things out it runs fine but doesnt have the zip that this one does.

nice one ,thanx for the update. a lot pf peeps diss' them, till they have a go.

mine easily reaches 80 and I have got the ton on it.

I now have it running on 1 tooth up for doing longer trips as it is less revs. (500)

nice one ,thanx for the update. a lot pf peeps diss' them, till they have a go.

mine easily reaches 80 and I have got the ton on it.

I now have it running on 1 tooth up for doing longer trips as it is less revs. (500)

hmm, I may have to look at a few things then. Mine is peppy when warm but its maxing out around 75ish. The engine does have 23k miles on it....and it was in ruff shape; still is.

i was pushing 90mph two days ago....

you have to love that 9000 red line.