Wiring?

78special
This post is 5831 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys another question. I want to do away with most of my wiring. All I am gonna have is a headlight and tailight. I wanted to find out what I can here first before I go cutting things off or anything like that. I was wondering about the RECTIFIER ASS'Y i think that's it under the battery has fins.. Anyway Can i get rid of it i unhooked it and it doesnt seem to make a difference in the running of the bike?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Reconnect your rectifier and leave it alone. You may already have done enough damage.That goes for anything else that is bolted to your battery box. Your rectifier's job is to convert the alternator's AC volts to a battery friendly DC volts.

Reconnect your rectifier and leave it alone. You may already have done enough damage.That goes for anything else that is bolted to your battery box. Your rectifier's job is to convert the alternator's AC volts to a battery friendly DC volts.

Damage to what??!! It has never been hooked up and the bike has always run fine. Neither is the other thing connceted to the battery box that look like a relay not hooked up if they are so important than why has the bike been running fine without them??

Damage to what??!! It has never been hooked up and the bike has always run fine. Neither is the other thing connceted to the battery box that look like a relay not hooked up if they are so important than why has the bike been running fine without them??

you may have a 2 in 1 fitted somewhere, all bikes need a regulator and rectifier if you want the battery charged.

racers do away with this but need to charge the battery off the bike every meet.

youll need reg/ rec im not sure on yours if its separate or together, but you can prob follow diag this is xs 650 im trying to find a chop wiring diag.

what youll need out of the stator is 3 whites, one black - brush, ground to frame and one green, the green should go to voltage reg , there may be a yellow too if its like the xs cap it.

look at diag, check your wire colors if there the same you should be able to adapt that drawing to the 400. youll need two fuses, get a lawnmower ig. I just used a toggle no key,

what are you seeing when you say rect isnt hooked up, 4 wires or five? are there three whites or three yellow coming from it?? I posted over on chopperunderground for a complete chopper wiring diag, if someone post it ill post it here.

xschopperwiring.jpg

Resizeof2006-04-15022.jpg

youll need reg/ rec im not sure on yours if its separate or together, but you can prob follow diag this is xs 650 im trying to find a chop wiring diag.

what youll need out of the stator is 3 whites, one black - brush, ground to frame and one green, the green should go to voltage reg , there may be a yellow too if its like the xs cap it.

look at diag, check your wire colors if there the same you should be able to adapt that drawing to the 400. youll need two fuses, get a lawnmower ig. I just used a toggle no key,

what are you seeing when you say rect isnt hooked up, 4 wires or five? are there three whites or three yellow coming from it?? I posted over on chopperunderground for a complete chopper wiring diag, if someone post it ill post it here.

xschopperwiring.jpg

Resizeof2006-04-15022.jpg

There are five wires coming from the rect 3 white 1 red 1 black. I just took the complete wiring harness off the bike there is so many freakin connections surely I dont need all this? What are the two connections coming from the back of the engine. If I knew how to put pics on I would.

once youve figured out the charging system and keypad, youll prob need 3 to 4 wires along backbone to front of bike, & that depends on switch layout. coils, horn , headlight, youve got instruments? want them lit? need signals? I hate to give advice on a bike im not sure of . your red from stator should go VR.

]http://016-Copy.jpg

That is the rectifier on the bottom so does that make the thing on the side the regulator?? I have more pics now that I know how to post if that will help

Mypics003.jpg These are the wires coming from what i assume is the stator

Mypics001.jpg

Mypics002.jpg As you can see the harness coming out on the right hand side has 4 white wires and the one on the left has 1black 1green 1blue and 1 yellow so which of these do I use????

Mypics004.jpg

looks the same as 650, green should be pos brush from stator , should go to volt reg. (metal box) balck neg ground.

rectifier is finned, with 3 white wires, go 3 white from stator 3 white rectifier , the diag I posted should be right, blue outa stator should be neutral switch not needed, yellow should not be needed. google xs chopper wiring diag, then click image, theres tons of ways to do it, one fuse two fuse ect. elct start or kick only,

• 4 weeks later...

alrighty! i needed this thread, gonna finish up my wiring tonight. been putting it off cause i was unsure about how to wire that together properly. thanks!

so i'm taking the power and ground on the rect and wiring them straight to the battery, fused, and then wiring the regulator from the battery to my accessories and ignition with a fuse? I'm on a 360 so it's a little different than that chart.