XS 450 racer project

drewpy
This post is 5869 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

these are the pictures of the xs450 that was on german ebay a couple of years ago i have used google translator and changed the obvious pidgen english remarks;

xs450_fzrdisk_gxrcaliper.jpg

fzr disk and GXR 4 pot caliper

f7_1.jpg

04_1.jpg

contactless CDI ignition system from the Suzuki GSX 400 E was reworked, which is taken directly from the crankshaft end.

a new CNC milled housing/cover

fd_1.jpg

xs450upgrades.jpg

Yoshimura pistons with 73 mm bore

xs450pistons.jpg

new Yoshimura liners pressed in

xs450upgrades.jpg

cylinder head: complete revised with shortened valve stems, worked on and polished , new valves (inlet 36 mm, exhaust 30mm) and with the 38 HP cam shaft

xs450valves.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

it's quite sad really ,

all that work and then having to let it go as a project :huh:

it's just all the drilling on the alloy wheels that scares me :blink:

much lighter but much weaker ??

:D

I think there was a discussion on aircooled rd site and the consensus was they were too fragile.

Don't forget that these were one of the first production "alloy" wheel and Yam were still learninig their craft.

That's why I spent over £400 on flanged ally spoked wheels, much lighter (and sexxy!)

I think there was a discussion on aircooled rd site and the consensus was they were too fragile.

Don't forget that these were one of the first production "alloy" wheel and Yam were still learninig their craft.

That's why I spent over £400 on flanged ally spoked wheels, much lighter (and sexxy!)

It would take a proper engineer, but I would think you could drill out at least some. I am a rock climber and some of the gear has this done, now by the manufacturer, to lighten the gear. It doesn't reduce the soundness of the structure. You would just have to really do some hard core engineering.

ive seen em drilled but never quit like that! theve taken a lot of support out of em. & dang those are huge ass valves!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online