My Mess

xtonyx
This post is 5795 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Here is my mess of a bike. It is my first bike. I bought it about four months ago for about $300, blindly on ebay. Picked it up, it had been rattle canned white, the badges were off a bigger bike and had been sprayed an effeminate shade of metallic blue and glued to the sides of the tank and airbox covers (how many yammy logos do you need on one bike?). The tires were flat, everything had a nice layer of corrosion. It barely ran, the starter was toast. It had been dropped at least twice. I managed to get it started the day I picked it up, rode it a block down the road to where my trailer was at and drove it two hours home.

I chopped the frame right after the rear shock perches. Ground off any unneeded mounting points and I've touched up spots on it with the satin black I'm using on the rest of the bike. Pulled the rear fender, welded all the holes on it. I'm going to mount it off the swing arm so I can tuck it down on the rear tire. Front fender is getting pulled off, straightened out, possibly shaved on the inside to fit a slightly larger tire.

The tank had big dents on it from being dropped. When I stripped it it had even more dents that had been previously filled in. I wonder how that effects my capacity? ;) It's been floated with bondo as of two nights ago, and as soon as I have some time i'll be smoothing it out and then it's primer and paint. Also floated the airbox covers with bondo, smoothed them out, and primed and painted them satin black.

Still working on the seat. Not sure what I'm doing.. I've got a little seat pan I've been playing with, might just do some foam and vinyl or leather on it.. who knows.

Stock exhaust isn't in bad shape, some scrapes on the bottom of it from being dropped but it polished up decent. I'll probably header wrap the first two feet of the pipes since there was some pitting near the top I couldn't buff out.

Replaced the airbox (which had no filter in it!) with pods. Also replaced the carb holders.

Replaced the handlebars with slightly wider (~2" total) drag bars. New grips. New throttle twist (simple, chrome). no more buttons on my bars!

Pulled the dummy lights from my gauge cluster, chopped the mount up so that I could tuck the gauges up against each other. Flipped the rear cover on the headlight around so that it would tuck up against the new gauge setup. I'll have to disassemble the headlight to change a bulb but oh well.

My tag is mounted off the bottom of the strut, my brake/running light is a model a replicataillight w/ plate light mounted right above it.

The wiring will be simple. Everything will be on its own switch. Running/headlight will be on a switch. Brake light we be redundant (no matter what it will be on). Ignition will simply be a switch. The bike is garage kept, and won't be far away from me so I'm not worried about theft. The generator & voltage regular will be wired into the circuit of course. I've got a friend doing the wiring, I don't have the patience for it.

Looking to put a 120/80 or 120/90 on the rear of the bike, and a 110/80 on the front. Would LOVE whitewalls but I'm having a hard time finding some, and an even harder time finding some that won't cost me more than I paid for the bike.

bike1.jpg

bike2.jpg

bike3.jpg

bike4.jpg

bike5.jpg

bike6.jpg

bike7.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

i think plenty of folks will have been tempted to cut the rear frame rails ,

but the question is where do you go from there ?

a central rear number plate for symetry would be a consideration ....

but the world is your oyster and i look forward to the update ;)

ive got a sorta thing bout bikes, cut every freakin thing not needed off, lose every goofy ass saftey switch and yes lose the keys, slap a padlock on it if needed. I run two switches on my tracker the horn is a button next to footpeg i can tap with my heel. I shitcan chrome, and use aluminum. when you get ready for the filter try ebay in gocarts, you can buy these around 12 bucks ea , they should have your size and there better than pods and look like K&N's.

Remember when your done it will be cool and it will be yours.

heres a filter link, but check your inlet size

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-K-N-STY...1QQcmdZViewItem

oh for what its worth those old speedos make cool tiny headlights , its about a 10 buck conversion, im to cheap to buy a bling headlight.

0704240004.jpg

cut some old tailight reflectors & glued with high temp silicone, bar ends work good on the frame cuts at tail too, you have to grind em down a little or champher out the frame rails but they fit. beats weldin them shut and screwin up the paint.

• 1 month later...

put some paint on it today. still trying to decide what to do about a seat, i'm just ready to ride it.

It doesn't have a center stand, I noticed that today. It has the mounting points for one but it's not there.

Also, it's registered as a 1974, the front tube says xs360 but no year or anything.. What years did they make the 360? What "trim" level would it be since it has the alloys and discs?

• 2 weeks later...

Crazy, Im doing almost the exact same thing to my 80 frankenstein xs400! Lookin really good man. Cant wait to see the finished product! Oh, where'd you pick up that tail light/plate holder?

FLEABAY!!!

Like $20 shipped for the plate mount, and like $45 for the taillight.

Got it all finished and I've been riding it around lately.

ughh..

i just read drewpys posts over in this thread (http://www.yamahaclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8530&hl=charging&st=30) and it seems like i've royally screwed up my charging system. :rolleyes:

time to try and get that thing rewired and cross my fingers it works when i'm done.. i hope i didn't toss anything important.

well i had the leads off the rectifier wired to the battery correctly, inline fuse..

i just forgot to wire in the other part of the alternator circuit... wired it in with the voltage regulator and now it runs and charges perfectly.

!!!!

if i host some pictures i'll put 'em up. been too busy since i've been riding all weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

I snapped this one a couple weeks ago while I was at work.. cell phone picture, sorry. The glossy bits on the side of the fuel tank are gloss vinyl YAMAHA decals over the satin paint. You can only see them when the light hits them right, it's kind of neat. I still need a rear fender, tires, and I'll probably paint the wheels when I get the new tires.

l_4a18869e89093e1638823df4f0f1f2b5.jpg

love the bike...I want to find a tank like yours...what did you use to cover all of the electricals? check out bikebandit.com for the whitewalls...I love mine although I cant fit any fenders (dont want to anyways but I noticed your running your front...it wont fit after these.)...here are some pics..still needs some work here and tehre but its close....bike is dirty and walls are filthy but you get the idea....

l_486afe45dd1c630f1f6e6f5fc3136c82.jpg

l_c53cc60b90ce896dd5feb7ce60233bd1.jpg

the tank is a stock xs360 tank.. saw one go on ebay a month or two ago for like 40 bucks.

im actually thinking about pulling the front fender after seeing a few bikes that aren't running them.. no rear fender, im too lazy to make one at the moment and i never ride in the wet (and half the time i have a backpack on anyway).

as far as the electricals.. i dont really have any. two wires to the taillight, four to the headlight, one to the ignition, then the weird little charging circuit. it's super simple. all ran into a fuse panel and put onto a couple of toggle switches. i have the main power wire on a bullet connector so i can disconnect it if i park it somewhere shady. it's kickstart only anyway, so i think that would deter most kids.

which tires are those? i was totally unsure what size tire i can truly fit on the rear. it's got a 110/90/18 right now and its close to the swingarm. the front wont matter if i toss the fender.

i was looking around the garage today, and i think i lost my points cover.. it either fell off while riding (forgot to snug the bolts maybe?) or i just misplaced it. poo.