Technical help needed....

felixfly
This post is 5883 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi

I have an XVS125 which im having trouble with.

It starts and runs fine for a couple of minutes and throttles ok. Then starts idling up & down and if i so much as touch the throttle it starts to stall. Eventually it cuts out and wont start, then the battery will go flat and i have to recharge it. After this it will work for a couple of minutes and do the same.

I have cleaned the carb and changed the plugs but this makes no difference. It has a new battery but it was only a cheap one off the internet. Im thinking it is an electrical problem as i have undone the drain plug straight after it cut out and there was fuel.

Im not so good with electrics but i have a multimeter. Can anyone give me some advice on finding the fault or have any other ideas.

Regards

Felix.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi,

I have been messing around with it today and have now ruled out the electrics.

When it starts idling up & down and cutting out with the throttle, if i switch the fuel to prime it will run ok. Then when i switch to ON it will run for a minute or two and start to go again. I think ill take the fuel cock off next and clean it out. Im hoping i dont have to clean the carb again....

Regards

Felix

Im not familiar with the XVS125 as i have a XVS650, but mine was doing this not so long back - fire her up - was idling a bit chuggy, then touch the throttle and she cut out.

It was just simply a case of adjusting the choke!

Im assuming the XVS125 has one though?

HTH and let us know how you get on.

Im not familiar with the XVS125 as i have a XVS650, but mine was doing this not so long back - fire her up - was idling a bit chuggy, then touch the throttle and she cut out.

It was just simply a case of adjusting the choke!

Im assuming the XVS125 has one though?

HTH and let us know how you get on.

Hi

It has a choke on the handlebar. When it starts to go i switch to Prime on the fuel tap and it works then i switch back to ON and it will work for a bit. I think im going to clean out the fuel tap. Adjusting the choke doesnt do anything.

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

hi make sure you have plenty of fresh fuel in the tank and you will only need to use choke first time you start bike and then only for a minute or so,sounds like fuel tap is blocked, is it a on/off/prime tap?or does it have reserve position too?

Could sound like the fueltap, dossent have enough vacum to stay open. I would check the vacumhose running from the engine to the tap, for cracs and bends. If its fine, there may be a problem whit the tap itself.