SR125

TamzSR125
This post is 5920 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I got my SR last year for 300quid

Had a few problems but fixed the main ones

my current problem is the engine

it wont idle, and also it will try and stall at any given time, like if im breaking, using the clutch etc

im not sure whats wrong and wud it cost alot to recondition the engine

ive replaced the exhuast with a brand new one (it needed it)

ignition barrel is new as the old one kept cuttin out my engine whilst riding

just any ideas and help wud be appreciated

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

anyone lol :(

woha! slow down Tamz, wer'e not a call centre and sat nights are for pubs and clubs.

Is there any other symptoms like smoky exhaust, loss of power, spark plug is a light shade of brown?

If the bike has been standing, its likely the petrol has evaporated in the carb and gummed up the tiny internal passage ways which will need shifting by cleaning.

give us more to go on and you will get a better prognosis

If its been sat for 4 years i would def clean the carbs and pay extra attention to the small jets and drilling in the float bowl and carb body as they control the slow speed running of the bike. Mine had been sat for 7 years and i had to let the float bowls sit in thinners for 2 day to soften all the gunk and then blew it all out with compressed air, took several attempts as a lot of the jet sizes are minute.

The carb comes off quite easily. Remove fuel pipe (use a rag to catch the drips); undo "jubilee" clips on engine and airbox side - nice & loose; unscrew top to remove slide assembly. (Remove carb heater connector if you have one; mine doesn't.) I think that's it; you can do this without removing seat & tank. Have rag handy again as they'll be plenty of fuel leaking out when you tip the carb over.

Did you try adjusting the idle yet? Be a shame to strip the carb down if the idle is just too low. How does it run on the choke?

Any recommend a good solvent for cleaning carbs? I know of someone who had his carbs cleaned untrasonically & wasn't too impressed with the results.

I got my SR for £80. Admittedly, it didn't run and someone had closed the garage door on it & dented the tank. That was over 10 year ago. It's gone downhill since then ......... :)

Any recommend a good solvent for cleaning carbs? I know of someone who had his carbs cleaned untrasonically & wasn't too impressed with the results.

I got my carbs cleaned professionally by JRS in swansea. Did a fantastic job and good communicator. check out his web site by googling JRS carbs. cost me £100 for 2 carbs

its not flooding so thats not the problem, and spark plug is fine

it will idle wen u 1st start the engine, infact it will sit there and tick over for how ever long

but as soon as u set off, thats when it all goes wrong

u change down gear and start slowing down it tries stalling

if u power it off, for example at a petrol station to fill up and then start it again it wont start

its very bizzarre

It might not be flooding but i still think a good clean and set the mixture properly will sort most of the problems. Mine would start fine from cold and run great but stop it and try to restart you had to wait 5 mins. That was sorted by a quarter turn of the mixture screw as it was running a bit lean.

Sounds more like a sticking float causing fuel starvation.

Tamz,

Please clarify what you mean by 'spark plug was fine' - colour of plug (digital photo?) and if it was wet/sooty/sticking of fuel/grey/dry as a bone when the problem occurs...?

Paul

If it's not fuel supply then it's spark or compression...

Tamz,

Please clarify what you mean by 'spark plug was fine' - colour of plug (digital photo?) and if it was wet/sooty/sticking of fuel/grey/dry as a bone when the problem occurs...?

Paul

If it's not fuel supply then it's spark or compression...

The guys who service all my dads work bikes took a 2min look at it and said its not the spark plug

unfortunately i havent had time for them to look at it properly

The guys who service all my dads work bikes took a 2min look at it and said its not the spark plug

unfortunately i havent had time for them to look at it properly

I'd take that to mean that the spark plug is working fine - but an assessment of the colour etc of the plug may show us where the problem is coming from.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online