Clutch won't disengage!!!

notmuchhair
This post is 5955 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Could somebody please aid me in my quest to sort my bike out. I'm no mechanic but understand the principles involved.

I have a Yamaha XVS 125 and the clutch cable recently frayed so i replaced it. However, after tightening the cable and adjusting the free play the clutch still wouldn't disengage. Even physically pushing across the lever (the one which sits atop the clutch assembly) as far as it goes will not disengage the clutch which leads me to believe that it may well be something inside.

Could anyone please give me a little insight into what the problem may be and what possible remedies i could implement.

Thankyou

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

my guess is as your cable wore it was adjusted to the limit, the new cable has changed that, check your owner manual to see where the actual clutch adjustment is, it should be as simple as adjusting the actual clutch to accomodate the new cable, FIRST check routing on new cable and be sure its not binding or routed wrong. dont really know the particular model so that bout all I can help. good luck.

you might find your manual on this link.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/archive/...hp/t-10556.html

Could somebody please aid me in my quest to sort my bike out. I'm no mechanic but understand the principles involved.

I have a Yamaha XVS 125 and the clutch cable recently frayed so i replaced it. However, after tightening the cable and adjusting the free play the clutch still wouldn't disengage. Even physically pushing across the lever (the one which sits atop the clutch assembly) as far as it goes will not disengage the clutch which leads me to believe that it may well be something inside.

Could anyone please give me a little insight into what the problem may be and what possible remedies i could implement.

Thankyou

G,day notmuchair. Did the clutch disengage before you replaced the cable?? If it did then the problem is not inside. Is the lever on top of the clutch facing the right way(not out 180 degrees)??? Cheers Ferg

Has it been standing long? some clutch's have been known to stick, push the bike upto a wall, start and engage gear and hey presto it free's up! long shot but it maybe stuck!

I agree with ozzy here. My XVS 125 has clutch stick problems that I cure by starting the bike, in gear, with the clutch pulled in and the back brake on. It jibs a bit at first but, once freed, is OK.

The bike has a wet clutch and leaving it standing squeezes all the oil out of it and causes the plates to get sucked together like two sink-plungers. Recheck your adjustments and give it a go...

:thumb: