Which oil?

Brainstorm
This post is 5926 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi people, I've recently passed my CBT, and purchased a lovely 2001 XVS 125. I didn't get much info about which oil to put in, where to put it, or how to check if I have enough. I wondered if any of the members here would be able to help me out on this? Or if there's anything else I need to check.

There was no manual with the bike, if anyone has a owners manual they could upload, that would be really helpful! ;) This is my first bike, so I need a bit of help from the experts :)

I'm also after some panniers if anyone knows where I can get some?

Thanks in advance

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Seems like a dead forum, not even a welcome, I'll look around for another one with a bit more life on it before I go insane speaking to myself.

Hi There!

I'm new to this forum too! Any way I can help you out to get a on line owners manual, use this link copy and paest it in your internet

http://www.yamaha-motor.co.uk/community/service/manuals.jsp

then put in your bike year ect ect! If you have any probs let me know and I will try and help!.

Nael

34 views, and no replies. Does anybody use oil in their bikes on here?

tumbleweed.gif

OK mate, just seen your post. Here goes:-

The handbook says that you need ordinary 10W40 oil that has no anti-friction additives, as these will bugger up the wet clutch and the starter clutch. Best to get the bike serviced, as they will do an oil change with filter for you. My 2000 XVS doesn't use oil at all and if yours does, it may be worth having a look for leaks and doing a compression test to check bores and rings.

Wow! A plethora of replies! Excellent!

Hi There!

I'm new to this forum too! Any way I can help you out to get a on line owners manual, use this link copy and paest it in your internet

http://www.yamaha-motor.co.uk/community/service/manuals.jsp

then put in your bike year ect ect! If you have any probs let me know and I will try and help!.

Nael

Many many thanks for this, it's invaluable having the owners manual for your first bike. Managed to find my one (2001 XVS 125). However, I can't seem to make out where the oil level window is. The pic is on page 6-9, but very unclear, I can't make out where the illustration is pointing to, or which side of the bike it is. I found the filler cap easily enough, but there's no level window in sight!

The other thing I've been meaning to ask, there's what appears to be a liquid chamber of some sort situated on the frame next to the horn speaker. This has a clear pipe coming out of the bottom of it that seems to be filled with a green liquid, the chamber itself appears empty. Anyone have any ideas what it is?

Again, many thanks for the replies and I look forward to hearing back regarding these questions. :)

Wow! A plethora of replies! Excellent!

Many many thanks for this, it's invaluable having the owners manual for your first bike. Managed to find my one (2001 XVS 125). However, I can't seem to make out where the oil level window is. The pic is on page 6-9, but very unclear, I can't make out where the illustration is pointing to, or which side of the bike it is. I found the filler cap easily enough, but there's no level window in sight!

The other thing I've been meaning to ask, there's what appears to be a liquid chamber of some sort situated on the frame next to the horn speaker. This has a clear pipe coming out of the bottom of it that seems to be filled with a green liquid, the chamber itself appears empty. Anyone have any ideas what it is?

Again, many thanks for the replies and I look forward to hearing back regarding these questions. :)

Hi Brainstorm

The oil level window on my xvs650 is just under the sidestand I thing it should be the same for your xvs125!

It is hard to check it by yourself, what i do is I put a peace wood under the sidestand to keep the bike lavel! and put the bike near a wall so it can't fall the other way! hope this helps! Sorry I can't help with chamber thing I dont have that on my bike!

All the Best

Nael

• 2 months later...

Hi there,know this is a bit of an old topic, but I expect that Brainstorm could do with knowing the answer to their last question... The green fluid operates the hydraulic brakes, the chamber is for checking there is enough. If the chamber is empty, you may want to get it topped up. (or get used to braking usingyour boot heels, which is not reccomended).

Hope this helps.

D

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online