a complete lack of respect

jrhendryx
This post is 6033 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

tonight while i was at work, some asshat hit my bike with their car. they didn't bother to leave a name, number, etc.

damage:

broken clutch lever

shredded left hand grip

broken mirror

damaged lights/blinkers switch

both left side blinkers are cracked

cosmetic damage all along the left side

and the worst;::::

the gear shifter is jammed in under the engine cover, so i cant even take it out of gear to get it loaded up.

luckily our parking lot is covered by a closed circuit camera. hopefully the tapes haven't been taped over yet, and it was panning to the right spot in the lot when this happened.

i just don't understand the mentality where people have so little respect for other people's property.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

That lack of respect is worldwide but then non bikers don't understand our love of machinery, i hope you get your bike sorted and the tapes show the culprit ;)

Can you pry the shifter out with a heavy screwdriver or something of that ilk?

That lack of respect is worldwide but then non bikers don't understand our love of machinery, i hope you get your bike sorted and the tapes show the culprit ;)

Can you pry the shifter out with a heavy screwdriver or something of that ilk?

thats what im going to try, but i would imagine its made out of the same forged aluminum that the clutch lever was, and once its fatigued.... tough cookies. with any luck, i can pry it out, throw on a new lever and at least manage to get it home.

well, an update:

replaced the clutch handle, and today took the shifter off and hammered it back into some kind of semblance of the correct shape. i will be replacing it asap though, because its only cast aluminum, and its taken a hell of a beating.

it seems to have knocked the bike out of alignment as well, since the handlebars were locked when it fell. im going to try to straighten everything out tomorrow by loosening the nuts that hold the forks on, and just see what i can do.

im bummed out, but hopefully it will work out.

this is why i bought a used bike.

I was curious if you were able to see the video of the parking lot yet and if it could identify the dimbulb?

oh... forgot about that.

well, i checked on the video, and it was after dark. this is an old system, so its not digital. it runs on standard vhs tapes. so, after dark, all i would have been able to see would have been a green blob that pulled into the spot and back out. no plates.

also, the person really did just hit it and run off. one of my co-workers who also rides was the one that saw it lying down and picked it back up. so, since the camera pans across the whole parking lot, the odds of it being aimed at the area where the bike was during the 5 seconds or so that it took them to hit it, back up, and take off, are not good.

no dice on the video.

Guest Brian Bonner

oh... forgot about that.

well, i checked on the video, and it was after dark. this is an old system, so its not digital. it runs on standard vhs tapes. so, after dark, all i would have been able to see would have been a green blob that pulled into the spot and back out. no plates.

also, the person really did just hit it and run off. one of my co-workers who also rides was the one that saw it lying down and picked it back up. so, since the camera pans across the whole parking lot, the odds of it being aimed at the area where the bike was during the 5 seconds or so that it took them to hit it, back up, and take off, are not good.

no dice on the video.

Shit, that sucks. I see from the other threads that you've managed to beat it back into working shape or at least the semblance of it?

Shit, that sucks. I see from the other threads that you've managed to beat it back into working shape or at least the semblance of it?

yeah, i found a new clutch lever, but im going to need a new gear selector.

the alignment is totally hosed too. if the handle bars are held at dead center, the wheel points off about 5-7 degrees to the left. im going to try and figure out if its as simple as adjusting the forks, or if i need new ones. its ride-able, but it feels a bit odd.