Impossible Fork Seal?

jeffcycles
This post is 6042 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Has anyone ever seen a fork seal that was virtually impossible to remove?

I tried heating and being careful, but was left with nothing but bits of rubber seal left over in the fork lowers. At this point I don't believe that I have any other option other than replacing the entire lower as the seal is tattered and broken into bits, and the area where the seal seats isn't in like new condition anymore. Has anyone had a similar experience and been able to "recondition" the area surrounding the seals?

Just tell me I'm not crazy and that some seals won't come out in one whole piece.

... Also, does anyone know if xs650 lowers will work on my 1978 xs400 2e?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Has anyone ever seen a fork seal that was virtually impossible to remove?

I tried heating and being careful, but was left with nothing but bits of rubber seal left over in the fork lowers. At this point I don't believe that I have any other option other than replacing the entire lower as the seal is tattered and broken into bits, and the area where the seal seats isn't in like new condition anymore. Has anyone had a similar experience and been able to "recondition" the area surrounding the seals?

Just tell me I'm not crazy and that some seals won't come out in one whole piece.

... Also, does anyone know if xs650 lowers will work on my 1978 xs400 2e?

can you post a picure to see what your saying?

• 2 weeks later...

i had similar problems with my YB and the only way i could get the seals out in the end was to heat up the lower stanchion and seal, then fill the whole leg with water to the very top, put the screw back in to create a seal, then with a piece of wood on the upper stanchion, smack it with a bloody great lump hammer. after a good few bloes, much sweat and swearing, the pressure of the hammer blow is transmitted through the water and pops the seal out in a gush of manky liquid.

it will work if the seal is leaking due to the treatment you have already given it, but it is much messier and you will have to keep topping up the water.

good luck