new bike

daboz1323
This post is 6073 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

sorry i've made alot of new posts lately. beginner rider and trying to learn. but how much throttle around what rpms can i take my bike (07 R1) before i gotta worry about my front tire coming of the ground? (not ready for wheelies yet).

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Your first step should be take it back to the dealership and trade it in for a 600. Is this your first bike? I mean street bike not dirtbikes or 4wheelers.

I have video of my buddy sitting on the gas tank of a ragged out R1 and popping it up on the back wheel at 70mph. Those bikes are stupid powerful and wicked fast. And they are really easy to loose in a turn if you aren't careful.

If you really are a beginner rider I'm being serious. Get rid of it and get at the most a 600. You'll still hang with the R1s up to 100mph but a lot less torque which is what gets you.

well thats why im asking. i realize that but pretend the 600 isn't an option. what would your advice be considering the circumstances? and if they are colse to identical till 100 why is it that big a deal?

IT's the torque man. The torque is what's going to mess you up. It can get on the rear wheel before you know it. Or worse yet you sneeze too hard in a turn you'll loop it out. The only reason the 600s can hang is becuase the 1000s are so powerful that there is only so much throttle you can give it before you flip.

Here is some vids of my buddy doing wheelies on his 02 R1 that was ragged out with 25K miles on it. Now he can ride. But he started on a CBR600F3 and rode dirtbikes since he was 8. And even when he did get the R1 he was scarred to do any wheelies on it because of how hard it is to control.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_vMhyaZwU0

Notice how easily he can get up on one wheel even when he is on top of the gas tank.

But since you do have it now and don't plan to take it back I guess his vids can give you some referrence. But it doesn't take much. I rode it once and I put it on the rear wheel and had no clue. He asked me "Did you feel the handle bars get light". But I was gripping it so hard I didn't notice and I didn't think I was getting on it hard.

My best advice is to keep it in higher gears. Use first to just get started then put it in 2nd or 3rd and keep it in the low RPMs. Because you'd rather stall out than redline on accident. And also if you get the throttle yank from when you freeze up just remember to grab the clutch and how many RPMs you pull doesn't matter.

Good luck with it but honestly if you can get something else I'd do it. Having a 600 or even say an FZ6 (Which is perfect beginner bike) isn't as cool as an R1. But they are far more forgiving.

Do get some vids if you can and find a racing school too. That way you can get a better idea on how to handle a powerful bike like the R1

Crikey no offence I know a lot of us complain about the nanny state in the UK but it scares me silly to see wot is permitted for inexperienced riders in the US.

I did an MSF BRC in LA in October 2002 before moving home to the UK and some of the machines that the newbies with me (male and female) were planning to ride the day after walking off the high school parking lot gave me a bigger fright than watching a Steven King movie.

PLEASE don't end up a statistic :angry:

See the difference in compulsory training changes planned for 2008 here. UK Bike Test 2008

Amanda

yea the most i've throttle i've given my bike in low rpms is 4th gear around 3 quarters throttle at only like 6,000. but i was really close to gettin the gixxer 600. would that be a btter choice? and does the torque affect cornering even in low rpms?

The GSXR is what I like to call "The Choice of Squids". Everyone gets the GSXR just to get it if they are choosing a bike below the 1000s. Which they are great bikes but damn they are small. When I sat on one I might as well been on a pocket bike.

You definetily want to keep your RPMs low while cornering. Atleast for now until you get familiar with the bike. You just have to know when your power kicks in.

For now make sure you get some really good gear. Don't skimp out on the helmet most of all. And then get a decent Kevlar jacket, pants, gloves, and boots. And some good frame sliders.

I'd also fine a local track where you can open the bike up at and see your limits. With a good set of frame sliders your bike damage generally won't be too bad. Plus tracks have paramedics on hand and can get life flight in their quickly if it comes down to that.

Basically use your head and respect the bike.

They are these large metal peg looking items that you usually mount on your swingarm(Where you bolt your wheel up) and on the ferrings. When you do lay your bike down it will help protect most of the plastic by sliding on the swingarm peg, ferrings peg and the metal ends of your handlebars. Just about everyone I know got them and say they are the best investment they made for their bike.

yea the most i've throttle i've given my bike in low rpms is 4th gear around 3 quarters throttle at only like 6,000. but i was really close to gettin the gixxer 600. would that be a btter choice? and does the torque affect cornering even in low rpms?

you buy exactly what you want mate, and buy it for the right reasons not because someone says u should.... u got a mean old bike there, that will spit u off experienced or not, have plenty of respect for your bike, and ull be ok,

like girlierider says, just dont end up a statistic.....

you ride whatever bike feels right to you wether it be an r1 a harley, or one of these little chinese replicas were being bombarded with over here, biking is all about the freedom to me, and that bike only goes as fast u tell it, get plenty of traiing under your belt, your never to good to learn, and concentrate more on good riding than how far you can twist the throttle and what speeds you can hit ect

all bikes are fun mate big or small, as long as you get off them at then end of the ride

yea i bought the bike used (800 miles) and it came with those. but i wasn't sure if thats what the were. well i aprreciate all you guys help and concern. and btw. you guys know of good place to get xenon headlights

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online