79 400xs electrical problem

yamamama
This post is 5682 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

It's a 1979 400xs. vehicle id. 2V6. It's a gift from a friend and it's been in storage for 20 yrs. Cruds' a kickstarter with about 10,000 miles on her and everything is in working order now, except for the fore-mentioned topic description. The manual that I was given is hard to read when looking at the wiring scmatics. Wire colors don't match and there's a F.R.E.D. with no reference to. (the fred is located on the left side near bottom of tank) Are all the problems related? and if so does it involve f.r.e.d.! F.R.E.D.=flipping rediculous electronic device.....

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sorry but you'll need to go to a museum!!!!! I had to write that.

Has your unidentified object got fins on it?

your F.R.E.D could possibly be an electronic spark enhancer, mine has one either side of tank connected to points and coils, fitted by previous owner but work so not taking them off. they have fins on.

My life is like a historical museum....no fins, more like a oem relay.....

• 1 year later...

It's a 1979 400xs. vehicle id. 2V6. It's a gift from a friend and it's been in storage for 20 yrs. Cruds' a kickstarter with about 10,000 miles on her and everything is in working order now, except for the fore-mentioned topic description. The manual that I was given is hard to read when looking at the wiring scmatics. Wire colors don't match and there's a F.R.E.D. with no reference to. (the fred is located on the left side near bottom of tank) Are all the problems related? and if so does it involve f.r.e.d.! F.R.E.D.=flipping rediculous electronic device.....

Hi,

Does the fred have connectors only at one side?

It could be the turn cancellation device, which appears to be under the tank, but I'm not sure if your model had it.

As long as I've been able to dig it looked like a black brick with a single connector on one side, made of 5 wires. There's a drawing of it at page 7-56 of the service manual for the '82 model, but as said I don't know if it could apply to you. If you want to take a look send me a message with your email and I'll send you an screenshot.

Regards.

Hi,

Does the fred have connectors only at one side?

It could be the turn cancellation device, which appears to be under the tank, but I'm not sure if your model had it.

As long as I've been able to dig it looked like a black brick with a single connector on one side, made of 5 wires. There's a drawing of it at page 7-56 of the service manual for the '82 model, but as said I don't know if it could apply to you. If you want to take a look send me a message with your email and I'll send you an screenshot.

Regards.

threads over a year old!!!! <_<