Mileage on bikes

Matt Hillyard
This post is 6217 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I often see this as a strange subject for bikes.

I dont understand why a bike with 30,000 miles is seen as a bad thing if it has been looked after, services by a dealer and is most importantly straight! Cars now do 100,000 fine without issues!

I use my bike almost everyday for work and i do about 80miles a day to and from work and although yes i know it wil be worth less but surely the enjoyment from getting out there on a top class bike and enjoying it is better than worrying about the mileage on it each time.

And wouldnt a bike thats used more often be ridden more concervativly as they need the reliability out of it rather than tearing the nuts off it every odd occasion you get to ride it?!?

I know im going to get eaten alive for this as people have their own views but i was just thinking it was an interesting topic to discuss.

Cheers,

Matt

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
:D :D i am in the process of fixing up a 1984gpz550 not sure of the milage so its either 48000 of 148000 but either way its gona do many many more and why not.. :D :D

I racked up over 130k on my old XJ550 before I sold it......& it still is running strong! B)

I've also heard plenty of tales where London couriers got over 400k :blink: on their trusty steeds....

Bottom line is that if you look after your bike properly, you'll get a Helluva lot more smiles per mile than any feckin cage. <_< .......

There's NO Feelin' like 2-Wheelin'! :thumb:

interesting subject. i see no problem with it really. its only other things like service intervals and changes etc that would concern me on higher mileage bikes. bit if ther eall in order it wouldn;t bother me. ie already racked up nearly 5000 miles on my hornet in under a year and it still goes like the day i brought it. having said that its only now just getting near 12k on it. however in personal choice if i can get a bike with lower mileage i would. i think its to do with mentally how long you think you can keep your bike for. for example some people like to keep it for 10k miles or 2 years or summit. or if your pete change it with your socks!!

I dont thinnk i could get bored of the R6 its an amazing bit of kit.

I have already done 6,500miles on it in 5 months! I definatly think i am going to do many many more on it as i could never get bored of it! And i agree with the view that theres no feeling like two wheelin and if bikes are treated as pride and joys and looked after properly there should be nothing stopping them going forever!

:D

I know, I've just traded in my 2005 Suzuki SV650S on a new Fazer S2 today, and the dealer was like (sudden inhalation) when he saw the mileage was 7800! In two years! If you find a car with that mileage it's like why haven't you driven it?

Jon.

Bikes to a certain extent are trophies, collectibles, dream icons, closeted sports equipage. As long as there are many low mileage bikes for competition, selling high mileage bikes is hard. Add the multiowner and abuse by ignorance, include the high price of parts and repair. Were forks serviced, shock replaced, brakes done properly, acceptable exhaust fitted and tuned, time sitting niggles, chain and sprockets. Take a battery vent hose off or misroute, yikes. Bought a bike someone ran without a wheel bushing, sprocket bolts carved swing arm. Basically unless you know the history you have to buy low, and no return encourages lack of maintainence, As I see it.

Many years ago i bought from new a Honda watercooled 2 stroke MBX80, kept it for 11 months and then went to trade it in for a 125 4 stroke twin, got to the dealer and he came out to do a valuation, he looked at the bike, looked at the speedo, looked at me then looked at the bike again, then the speedo then me and said "F**K ME thats had a hard life your only supposed to do 2500 mile a year" i had done 23000 miles in 11 months on an 80cc bike!!!!

Mileage doesnt bother me at all, low mileage stop start engines can have more problems that a high mileage motorway used one, stop start wont get all the engine up to temp to boil off any condensation out of the engine and oil, which then turns to an acid destroying bearings etc.

My Jaguar has done 198000 miles up and down motorways, the engine is as good as new!!!

Rob

i have done 18000 miles in 10 months on my fazer, he was 5 ears old when i bought him with 14000 on clock. in my opnion he hadn't been ridden and enjoyed. fazers are the workhorses of the bike world, great for commuting, touring or just for fun. as long as a bike is looked after, high mileage should not be a problem.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online