Bike Shed Garage

englandthebrave
This post is 6205 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

As I have suffered from condensation on my bike while stored in a wooden shed with a concrete floor (ventilated to a small extent) I am considering lining the interior with plywood, does anyone have any ideas etc as to whether it would be worthwhile insulating the walls as well please?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

As I have suffered from condensation on my bike while stored in a wooden shed with a concrete floor (ventilated to a small extent) I am considering lining the interior with plywood, does anyone have any ideas etc as to whether it would be worthwhile insulating the walls as well please?

Hi!

I stored a Triumph Bonnivil (Collectors Bike) in a Fairly new Cedar Shed, only to find that after a few weeks of the wet stuff the Paint on the Tank and Fenders started to Blister.

I fitted one of those Green house electric Tube heaters on a timer, this sorted out the Moisture, then I got Fibreglass loft insulation and installed that in between all the battens onto the wall panells, easyest way to secure was with Garden Bamboo Cains cut for a tight fit between the battens. this will be cheeper than hard linning the shed! Dont use plastic sheeting anywhere as it will Sweat.

Stand the Bike on a large sheet of rubber mating covered with an old Rug! this will stop moisture being drawn up through the Floor

"Snug as a Bug in a Rug"

Regards

Lennie1

Hi!

Your problem is exactly that, too much humidity. When the humidity is very high in the air, and all it does is pee down, you won't rectify the problem of your SHED. I have a wooden shed and I put my bike in it over the very wet winter just gone. Condensation formed on just about everything. You need lots of ventilation to get the water content in the air out of the shed (when it's stopped raining). Open up the door(s) when the sun's shining and cover the bike to keep it warm when it gets cold. Above all, keep your bike somewhere else if it's getting spoilt! Best I can offer.....

Bee Pee

• 3 weeks later...

Yep, I have a dehumidifier in the rafters of my garage. Got it from Screwfix for £89 (free postage) and it has a 5 litre tank. Great invention, and it's adjustable for fan speed and hygrostat sensitivity. My bike is dry and rust free.

Jon.