speedometer accuracy

Mark yzf600
This post is 6334 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi all

just wondering is how can i check my speedometer is giving me a true reading??

the reason i ask is that every time i slow down for speed cameras ( and there are loads of the f***ers around me ) i seem to be going a touch slower than everone else. ie there's a main road that i use quite often that goes from 40 to 30 with a camera in the 30 zone.. i slow to 33-30 and cars start to overtake me ,,

i know its not a big problem but it happens every time at every camera and im concerned if i am gowing to slow, some old dear is gonna mistake me for a traffic hump.

it could be worst i know,,it could be saying im not going fast enough then get flashed for doing what i think is 30.

any ideas would be much appreciated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Funny you should ask because I've been wondering that for a while now. I found out my bike was fitted with the wrong front tyre which would have affected my speedo reading yet I never had any problems which leaves me thinking that the speedo is quite off.

by law speedos are allowed to be +/- 10% off of the true speed. This is affected by lots of different things. For instance if you change the size of wheels it will affect it. As you tyres wear it will also affect it as well so there is no way to sorting it unless you get something like a road angel which runs of GPS and is usually accurate to within +/- 1 or 2%. They now do these with rechargeable batteries and they also detect the cameras for you.

Regards

i beleive hand held gps receivers wil do the same if yuo can beg, steal, borrow, or even buy one of them and tape it to your handlebars that will tell you

merv