carb freeze

chip2222
This post is 6242 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hey all

I think ive just had my first carb iceing incident....

ive just been on the motorway and i regularly go at about 80-100mph an i have never had any probs in the 2 yrs ive had the cat and that is in all wethers.

i was going at about 95-100 for about 60miles when i has to slow down for trafic so cruising at 80 for about 10 miles when i noticed a drop in power so i rolled on the gas a little and it reluctently gain speed a little but was a little jumpy. when i was free again i went back to 90 ish and it was a lot better but not 100%.

i pulled in the the services and let her idle for a good 10 mins till the temp went up to about 90, then continued home and this seemed to be great till about 5 miles from home when i felt that jumpy feeling again.

pls tell me this is carb iceing as im alittle unsure???

also is there anything i can do to help stop it?

cheers all

joe

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Joe,

It does sound like its carb iceing to me, i had it last year on my R1.

I dont think theres a lot you can do about it as it the air in the carbs thats freezing.

Was it ok when the weather got better? Tony

Sounds like Carb icing to me as well, I use to have a Thundercat and commuted on it every day what ever the whether, when it was a good cold day I could guarentee the journey to work was going to be a difficult one with the bike as I knew the carbs would struggle, it was Ok when I first started the bike but when I got onto the open roads then it would start icing up because of the lack of throttle movement and also the constant flow of cold air, once in town againand the bike had chace to stand around at traffic lights allowing the engine temp to get the carbs and melt any forming ice it was all OK.

Although I've got to admit it can be quite a dangerous thing as the lack of throttle responce can be deadly if it's needed.

well ive added some wynns dry fuel stuff and i think this has made a little inprovment but its far from perfect.

my next idea is to cover part of the radiator with somthing like tin foil so it stays at at a higher temp as currenly the needle isnt moving whilst on the move on the motorway, but i know its working as when stood at idle for a while it will raise up.

onother idea is to blank off the holes where the exhaust headers are under the radiator to try keeep some heat from escaping and thus keeping the front of the bike that little bit warmer.

i know these are all little things but as 99% of my daily ride is on the m.way i dont run the risk of over heating and im hoping that making the kitty run a bit warmer i can sort of stop the carb icing thing going on as much.

what do you all think???

i used to suffer from it with my dragstar. mate suggested using higher octane fuel so i started using super unleaded. the problem never came back. it was cured! try it and i hope it works for you.

nick-m well i think it has worked prob about 80% im well chuffed, cheers i owe you.

funny to think that just by changing fuel its had such a big inpact

i aam glad it worked.

also try adding STP. that might help it work 100%.

• 3 months later...

I've had similar problems. I found that adding "Redex" fuel additive stopped the problem. Proved it when in the middle of a cold trip I refuelled without Redex and the problem re-occurred.

I like the idea of blanking off the radiator with foil. Should work and easily removed if it gets too hot.

I had something a bitl ike this on my Cat. I would ride out of London on the M1 and after I've gone past about 5 junctions or so, the bike would start running rough. You suddenly feel like it's gurgling a little and opening the throttle sharply from closed would initiate some coughing and spluttering before it picks up. Very lumpy at idle too. Whipped out the air filter and gave that a good clean and ran a couple of tanks with Redex added. Been fine ever since.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online