RXS100 Brake Pedal

I've noticed that the top of my rear brake pedal is in contact with the underside of the silencer and there are clear signs of wear on both parts. I'm sure there should be clearance between the items and if left, could wear a hole in the silencer. The rear hub lever and brake rod have an angle about 90º between them, I'd always believed that this angle should always be less than 90, anything more than that is wrong. Or is that an old wives' tale?

Would moving the hub lever, a spline or so on the shaft, make things any better? Any explanation of what's wrong or what I can do to fix it would be appreciated. Bike has a recent MOT so brakes should work OK. I had thought of wrapping a thin strip of rubber round the pedal, but it might burn on the silencer.

Brake Pedal1.jpg

Rear Brake.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Doc, same set up as my 400/4, Although on my brake pedal there is an adjustable stop to....well ...stop! whats happening to yours!!

It is a case of moving the the drum brake lever on the splines and adjusting the rod to get the best position without fouling the silencer, but there is not a lot of spline positions available as the cut out in the shaft for the pinch bolt limits the available movement.

It's just a case of trial and error to find the sweet spot. As regards to the amount of travel, on the one hand you don't want just a touch of your foot to lock the brakes up!, but there again, you don't want to be moving your foot so much that you wonder if the brakes will ever come on!!

It's really down to personal preference to how much travel you give yourself for applying the rear brakes, I know when I've adjusted mine, I've thought WOOOHH that's not right!! and promptly readjusted it until i felt it was comfortable.

Lengthening the  brake rod by adjusting the screw/nut should push the brake pedal away from the silencer

Incidently on my 400 I have a brake shoe wear indicator on the hub, new shoes, shifts the rear brake arm further back to accomodate the new shoes, and that in turn repositions the brake pedal. So whilst the brakes may be sufficient for the MOT, they don't actually look at the amount of shoe left, so it might be worthwhile inspecting the amount you have left, as the pedal touching the silencer may actually be the reason and new shoes may also solve your position problem.

Hope thats of some help.

On My DT the adjustment stop for the brake pedal is on the frame, you might have something similar, or the bolt may be missing, worth a look??image.png

Are you 100% certain that the brake lever isn't bent at all?

P.s..   That rubber plug gives you access to do a visual inspection of the brake shoe thickness.

.image.png

Thank you for your detailed and helpful replies. I feel I'm asking questions too readily but I'm new to this and appreciate your taking the trouble to help. I think I may have answered my own question! I've just removed the silencer and found the the brake pedal hits a stop welded to the footrest bracket. There's a small flange at of the front of the stop which look as if a rubber buffer could be attached there. I've cut a piece of rubber tubing to fit it but it's not clear in the photo.

Hopefully it will stay in place. Thanks again.

Brake Stop1.jpg

Brake Stop2.jpg

3 hours ago, Dr Sangrado said:

Thank you for your detailed and helpful replies. I feel I'm asking questions too readily but I'm new to this and appreciate your taking the trouble to help. I think I may have answered my own question!

The obvious answer here is: Poke a little deeper before you ask...
However, there are a few points that discount the obvious answer.

1/ Asking early gives us time to poke the most likely options and the unlikely options while you continue to look.

2/ There's a reason we're here and helping: We like a puzzle!

3/ Getting strange answers often triggers something in your own mind.

4/ Why not? :D

So, keep asking! lol