Classic Yamaha Key Cutting

This is a follow-on from a previous post, 'RXS100 Spare Key', as it's applicable to any classic Yamaha or other bike with a simple key and warrants a wider audience.

A company on EBay, 'Spare-Keys-4-u', was advertising the blank HON42 which my key was. I asked if they would tell me the length of the blank, as I wasn't sure whether the one in their illustration was the correct length. They asked me to send a photo, but I sent two, one of each face. I was told they could cut the key from the photos. I was sceptical but they offer a money back guarantee so I ordered one.

I don't know whether it would work in every case, but I've tried the one I received today and it fits and functions perfectly. The cost was exactly a third of the price I was quoted by Timpsons.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Errr...

I hate to say it but...

Yes, you can cut a key from a picture, I can cut a key from a picture with nothing but a blank and a needle file, that's not the issue...

The problem is, what you've just done, is given some random person on E-Bay your bike key, AND your address!!!

For the price of a key, that could turn out pretty expensive...

And even if you DO get a perfectly working key in the post, doesn't mean they're not gonna come round later..!

What can I say, just because I'm paranoid, doesn't mean people aren't out to get me! lol.

I can delete this thread if you want, but that doesn't solve the main possible issue...

On the plus side , you've got a working key!! and just to reassure, I've looked at the guy on ebay, and he does have good feedback and he only sells keys. So there's every chance it will indeed be okay and you won't lose your bike!

Having said that I'm a suspicious ol' scrote just like Snake, but it should always be prudent to check or consider these things in the "Am I giving away too much information" scheme of things!!

We look out for each other, but i think it's likely you're safe on this one.

Thanks both for your comments. I was trying to be helpful but your remarks are completely valid; it isn't wise to pass that sort of information to strangers. No point in deleting the post, better let it stand so that anyone who is thinking of buying  a key that way is warned of the possible dangers.

My paranoid suggestion for this instance would be:

Send them the pictures, order the key to a FRIENDS house instead of yours... Or a PO box or dropbox or something... Just not the same address the bike is kept at.

• Like 1