RXS100 Spare Key

Dr Sangrado

Having received only one key with the bike I thought it prudent to obtain another. Yambits will try to help if I can provide the key code which is written on the bottom of the ignition switch but I am reluctant to start taking the bike apart, at least just yet. As it's a very basic key, marked SILCA HON42, I asked Timpsons if they could cut me one. They had the short version of the blank, but not the longer, that I require. Strange to have different size keys with the same number. Timpson can obtain a 'long' blank within a few days. I asked what the cost would be and was told £30 for the first key and £15 for any additional ones. When I expressed disbelief at what I thought was the high price, I was given a lot of waffle about quality etc.

The Saturday girl in my local 'We sell everything' shop can cut a perfect key. She clamps the key and a blank in the machine, presses a button and within a few minutes, a perfect key is produced. HON42 blanks are available on EBay but they look like the short ones. My next step is to try the local locksmith shop. I can't send the key away for fear of it getting lost although I could go a reasonable distance to get one cut.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
38 minutes ago, Dr Sangrado said:

I asked what the cost would be and was told £30 for the first key and £15 for any additional ones. When I expressed disbelief at what I thought was the high price, I was given a lot of waffle about quality etc.

ROFL!
Having used to be a shoe repairer / key cutter, I can confirm that's normal for Timpsons...
Go find your local cobbler, he can probably do it.

SILCA is the brand name of the key, and HON42 is the key code for HONDA. But of course if the cross section is the same as yamaha, then it doesn't matter whether the blank is for Honda or Yamaha.

If the blank doesn't match Yamaha then of course there is a outside possibility that the ignition switch and key is from a Honda and has been retro fitted. Just a thought.

A useful link to key blanks from the internet.

https://ekeyblanks.com/content/IlcoDirectoryVehicle.pdf

Thanks for the link. HON42 is shown there under Honda motorcycles and is identical to my key, being a long shape. My bikes's ignition switch looks original, and the key also fits the locking fuel cap. They may have been replaced or maybe the same manufacturer supplied both Honda and Yamaha with these items.