I can’t work out what is wrong with my Dt125

dtMatthewre

Hi everyone, as the title says, I cannot diagnose what is wrong with my bike. I purchased it a couple of months ago to restore, I have done quite a bit of work on it however it still does not run correctly. The bike ticks over when stationary without the choke, yet when I pull away it bogs and cuts out. If ran with the choke on, it rides absolutely fine, but doesn’t tick over when coming to a stop. When left idling with the choke, fuel comes out of the exhaust. I have added a new spark plug, coil pack, battery, and stripped, rebuilt and cleaned the carb yet the problem persists. From what is happening it sounds like a carb problem. The only other issue with the bike is that it has the incorrect exhaust for the bike, as exhaust comes straight out of the cylinder head and the expansion chamber is able to be moved by hand. I could buy the new exhaust for £200, however I don’t know if it will resolve this problem. Thanks you to anyone who reads this and can help me get my bike running.👍🏻(I can provide photos and videos if needed)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I can't help you with the diagnostics, but, if you've bought it to 'restore' it. Then you might as well change the exhaust for the right one, you're going to have to do it at some point...

ALWAYS provide photos/videos! :D

• Like 1

2 stokes need to back pressure to seal the incoming charge.

whacking in the fuel via choke is just masking it.

you need to carry out a plug chop, to ascertain the correct mixture and have a load of mains and pilot jets to change fuel delivery. 

• Like 1