New to forum and just starting my 2-wheel journey

Hi all,

I bought my XSR-125 last October as a way to practice for my full licence and absolutely love it.  I've got many more miles to put on it - given the recent weather it's been nicely tucked away and not been out to play as much as I would like.

I passed my full test last week but intend to keep the 125 for this summer and do a bit of test riding of bigger bikes.  I'm not looking to buy new and my back wont like me buying anything too racy.  Any suggestions for a model to review will be greatly welcome - my trainer advised I dont shy away from the bigger bikes.  It will be mainly used for weekend and not commuting.

thanks

Mark

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Congratulations!

So, baring that I'm quite biased on this question, but...
You can't go far wrong with either a Thunderace (YZF1000R) or a Thundercat (YZF600R).
Crap loads of fun with power to spare to get you into trouble if you're not sensible. But are comfy to ride.
I too have a bad back (lower back) and don't have a problem with my Thunderace (I get about 1.5hrs ride before I need a break and a stretch).
They're dirt cheap and whilst various parts are no longer available, a couple of months rifling E-Bay usually brings up anything you need.

You haven't mentioned how old you are. If you happen to be 50ish, the insurance is STUPIDLY low! lol
And if you join this Forum as a full member, you get access to a discount from Bikesure (special phone number in a lower Forum)...

P.S.
To obliquely answer the question you posed in your other Post about your XSR speedo not working.
First thing I'd do is make sure you've not shredded your cable. If it's gone dry and run out of lube, it will stick and then just get twisted off. Check that first before digging into your electrics!

:welcome: inn

have a ride on different bikes if you can, even if its just a sit on. You'll soon get a feel of what they feel like with the balance etc.

Thank you for the reply’s guys.

I’ll be starting to look properly in a few weeks, so will be heading for a few test rides for sure.

I’m definitely not going to be looking for a pure racer so the idea of the Thunderace or a Fazer are starting to appeal.

I had a good hour in the Superbike Factory in MK just building a mental picture of the definite no’s and the rest I can try out - looks aren’t everything after all😁

28 minutes ago, dead205 said:

I’m definitely not going to be looking for a pure racer so the idea of the Thunderace or a Fazer are starting to appeal.

Don't get me wrong... No matter how comfy and relaxed the Thunderace is, it still IS a full fledged old school superbike!!!
Something to take it gently with at first!