Oil spraying in air filter housing on a xs1100

willyc
This post is 6450 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Well My brother gave me his 1980 xs1100 after not riding it for two years. I put a new batttery in it and started it up and it was letting it warm up not on choke for about 15 minutes then I give it a couple revs and it puffs white smole and it dies.

I then look at the air filter housing and its dripping oil. so I removed the air filter housing. and is was full of oil. I started it today without the housing on and again after about 10-15 minutes it started to spray oil out of the tube that goes from the air filter housing to the crank case.

I am new to motorcylcles and want to get this on the road.

thanks for any help, will

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

1st of all........ :welcome: to the forum Willy

Sounds to me like your crankcase might have Too Much oil in it? :unsure:

Probably wouldn't hurt to do an oil change to eliminate that possible culprit. ;)

Those old XS11's are great for 2-up riding :thumb:

1st of all........ :welcome: to the forum Willy

Sounds to me like your crankcase might have Too Much oil in it? :unsure:

Probably wouldn't hurt to do an oil change to eliminate that possible culprit. ;)

Those old XS11's are great for 2-up riding :thumb:

or the rings are worn causing the crankcase pressure to rise forcing oil up.

...or there is a non-return valve in there which has stuck and is holding the oil back from re-entering the sump (that is just an 'in case' as I don't know but maybe someone does?).

Just found the piece which made me post the above. It actually relates to a Divvy 600 and is on the Divvy forum but knowing Yamaha and their habit of utilising parts and design across a range of bikes it might be worth considering.

Andy

thanks for the welcome.

As for the rings being worn, there doesnt seem to be any blow-by or pressure from the hose until oil suddenly spurts from the hose once its warmed up. what is the oil capacity for my engine? I need to get a shop manual for this bike!

thanks alot guys and keep the help coming, will

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online