Helmet Advice

BrewTrooper
This post is 6415 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I finally got my 1981 Yamaha XS400 on the road after being garaged for 11 years...and totally legal to boot (Thanks go to Yamahead and MSchott99 for all their patience and help.) B) Now I need to get a helmet.

I've pretty much made up my mind to get a full face helmet, and hopefully one with some ventilation. Other than that I'm not sure what I want/need or should consider.

I was hoping that you folks could offer some advice and help me with the following:

• What type to get - brand/style?
  • Where to shop to get a great deal?

Thanks for all your help, and I look forward to seeing you on the road. :D

BrewTrooper

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hi!

i had an AGV Demon V Top which was brilliant but i grew out of it. so i have replaced it with an RST CobraVent, which is even better. very comfortable with great ventilation, removable lining and a quick release visor. :)

as for best places to go you really need to find one that you like so i suggest looking on the internet and narrowing it down to a few. look around and find the cheapest price. then go into a shop and try them on, then if the bike shop has it cheapest, buy it. if not order it off the internet! :P

hope that helps

Go to a dealer with a good selection......just to try on helmets & see what fits the best. ;)

Then possibly mail-order your choice...(better price if you're not in a hurry)

Bought an Arai like that once......for only $130 delivered to my door B)

Arai, Shoei, AGV, KBC, Shark are just a few brands that make good lids. ;)

I have to agree with the above, particularly Scott's advice about trying on helmets as every make and model is slightly different and none of us have standard shaped heads. Finding a helmet which fits and is comfortable is not a five minute job based on "I like the colour of that one" so take a bit of time.

Andy

If it was from a genuine dealer and garunteed brand new and it was the size you knew you wanted then it would be worth considering if the saving was worthwhile, otherwise never!

Ebay is full of sharks and rip off merchants anyway, and buying anything other than a new helmet from anyone would be a big no no for me.

Andy

I have had 2 new helmets from ebay after trying on the same size model in a shop, savings are good sometimes but make sure it is newand from a reputable dealer, i got caberg J1 plus helmets, i find the opening front is useful cos i wear glasses, and you can open the front and slip the helemt on and off with your glasses still on, but always try a helmet first, if you are not sure what yuo want go to a big bike shop with a good selection of helmets with an open mind and try em on, remeber if it feels uncormfotable trying it ion it could become a distraction while riding, but some helmets tend to be a bit tight and give a litle as you use em

Merv

Merv,

How do you find the Caberg? I am thinking of buying one for the same reason (bloody specs!). I spoke to a guy at the big Harley bash at Aviemore the other week who had one (he was riding a 750 Commando so I felt it was OK to talk to him ;) ) and he said it was great, especially the built in sun visor (I think that is the Justisimmo model?). I went into our local stockist but they have no stock at the moment due to having just been bought out while on the point of closing down so haven't been able to try one.

Andy

my dad has the caberg justissimo helmet (he wears specs to as do i) and thinks its brilliant. especially the built in sun visor because it allows him to wear normal glasses and use the sun visor whenever rather than say in the car have to change his glasses to the sunglasses pair. B)

how was the bash in aviemore andy? i left the day before!! i can't believe i was up there and didin't know you were there!! you may have seen me around actually. do you know the spey valley smoke house at all??

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the info about the helmet, I think I will have to seriously consider buying one.

I actually live some distance from Aviemore, in a place called Drumnadrochit which is close to Loch Ness but the other side from Aviemore. So unless you were over here our path's probably didn't cross. Were you up on holiday?

We went across primarily for a family day out but it was interesting enough, especially as there were a few bikes other than Harleys around. Highlights for me were a very nice 750 Commando which was ridden by the bloke with the Caberg helmet, a Laverda Jota and a Kawa Z1 which was in mint condition. The Harleys? Well, to be honest, they just don't do it for me but if that is what people like then good luck to them. It was certainly a good turn out and good fun from what I could see.

Cheers,

Andy

Andy the just one is a good helmet i find only one problem is it seems to steam up the visor if you close it completely and i bought a oxford deflector type thing to try and cure this but you cannot fit it to them I have not tried the justissimo with the sunvisor, pity you are not closer you could try one i have 2 as i use one when doing grubby jobs around the place when my hair is likely to get grubby and one for best, as iused working on the farm, the work helmet used to stink of cow crap etc not good when going out eh

merv

Cheers Merv,

I hadn't realised there are two Caberg models but they both sound pretty good.

What's wrong with smelling of cow crap? I have known plenty of people who thought nothing of spending an evening in the pub having come straight from work on the farm. Mind you, there was always a lot of room at the bar... :P

Cheers,

Andy

Cheers Merv,

I hadn't realised there are two Caberg models but they both sound pretty good.

What's wrong with smelling of cow crap? I have known plenty of people who thought nothing of spending an evening in the pub having come straight from work on the farm. Mind you, there was always a lot of room at the bar... :P

Cheers,

Andy

hi there i wear glasses and i tried loads of full face helmets on but the Caberg was definately the most comfortable to wear with glasses for me, especially with the flip front but i agree with the earlier coments you need to try loads on and take your time before deciding. after all we only have one head so look after it and buy the best you can afford

Andy i remeber one guy used to appear at the local on sunday lunchtimes straight from work, one day his car had broken down, so he turned up with a tractor boots still thick with slurry straw in his hair. The he was promptly sent outside to the outside tap to wash his boots

Merv

• 1 month later...

imho....its gotta be an arai everytime! B)

and ive got a caberg v2 in your link and its noisy as hell !!!youll need earplugs m8 :unsure:

I have an agv stealth with a legal iridium finish which looks the sex is really comfy and has very little wind noise especially as ive just put a new moto gp screen on me bike aswell.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online