Drag Star 125cc GENERAL MAINTENANCE

RaySin

Good evening, everyone.

As I sit and look through window, seeing all the frost and snow coming down the sky, I started questioning myself...

1) where the heck do I get proper owners manual for my new lady? (I have found some PDF files online, but looking for something more like Haynes manuals, Amazon failed miserably to provide me with one)

2) Regarding chain - how do you know when it's too dry and she needs a bit of lubrication before we have some fun?

3) Feeding - when I feed her, will she say when it's enough? (When tank is full, will the pump stop like it does with cars, or it's more like spoon feeding and I have to keep an eye on her so she doesn't choke on it?)

4) If...just if... And we're talking about loud pipes... What are pros and cons of having them?

Again... I am complete newbie, just wishing best for my new lady (which is still to be named...) My head is just bursting with random questions. Any help or supportive shoulder will be as much appreciated as sarcasm 🤭😶‍🌫️

Thanks in advance!

RaySin 

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Well RaySin, lets see....

Haynes or Clymer are the publishers of workshop manuals , unfortunately  It doesn't look like they cover your bike......yet! That's not to say they won't in the future. So pdfs and USB versions of yamaha service manuals are probably all thats available at the moment. Ebay is worth keeping an eye on availability of anything, even if you don't want it!.

As regards to Chains, they need to be kept oily, a dry chain will squeak and if it's squeaking you're creating wear! too much oil and it sprays all over the wheels and chrome, and too little it will squeak away. Get into a habit of putting it on, chain spray is probably your best bet, it's easy to do. Unfortunately an oily chain also attracts road dirt and sticks to it, causing grinding, you can't win.!!! Chains don't last forever, so it really is down to regular maintenance. It's worth noting that apart from a dry chain or oily chain, there is another condition that chains can get and that's clicking chains from stiff links, it might be only one link but it gives a unique sound. It also means you've not been doing your maintenance! Chains will often play up after wet weather!

The other aspects of chains is that over time they stretch! so you need to move the wheel back a tad and still keep the wheel aligned!!  Too slack a chain and it will clatter on the chain guard, or jump a cog!! Too tight and your gearbox and sprockets get put under too much tension leading to more wear!! it's ALL a delicate balancing act!! You'll love it!!

As regards to filling her up, don't rely on the auto shut off from the nozzle. Bike tanks are not big so it doesn't take much to fill them up. The best advice regardless, is keep the fuel off the petrol tank otherwise your paintwork will suffer. Careful trigger control is the key and keeping an eye on just inside the tank would be my advice.  And as you're a newbie, don't hesitate to pull off some of that blue roll all petrol stations have between pumps, and keep it handy to wipe off any spills or drips quickly.

And finally, loud pipes... only you will love them. Everybody else older than you will think you're a nob. .....but we've all been nobs at least once!🤣

Enjoy...

Edited by NE0
  • Like 1

1/ Not a clue, they don't appear to make one...

2/ As far as I can tell, if it's oily, it's ok, if it's not, it's bad...

3/ Yes, the pump WILL stop if you have the nozzle fully in the tank, however, since you're filling to almost the top of the tank you won't actually have the nozzle in the tank... So, no...

4/ Pro: Sounds good. Con: Could get you arrested... :D

• Like 1

NEO, sir, that was a mouthful of a reply 😂

Very detailed answers, bless you mate. Really looking forward to spend money on maintenance 🤭 

Also... When it comes down to washing bike, any advice? I've seen things called bungs - yet no idea what size to get cause apparently there are few different ones. What about cleaning products? Any preferences of your own that you wouldn't hesitate to advise using?

Best regards

RaySin 

Hard jet washing is bad. Too many exposed or semi exposed bearings / joints to blast the grease out of!

You can jet wash from a distance to get more of a 'soak' going, but be careful.

There's all sorts of cleaning products out there, everyone will have a different opinion on them, you probably have to make your own choices...

The big problem with cleaning bikes is all the interesting gaps & cubby holes that all the crap gets into. Young and bendy is the key to cleaning a bike well. When you get old and creaky like me, it gets a LOT harder lol.

• Haha 1

..and Chrome hates water!! and Chrome today is nowhere near the quality it was back in the  50s~70's. Today its considered as "flash chrome", as in a quick flash application to make it look good. Back in its day is was dipped and chromed for longer so it had a thick layer of plating on it. not any more, its just a shiney surface dressing these days.

Nonetheless, keeping it looking nice is down to the various non abrasive creams (Autosol) and elbow grease, and when its not being used a generous application of oil type products like ACF-50 to stop the damp getting through it.

I've lots of experience being the owner of a Honda 400/4 with more chrome than paint!

• Thanks 1

Good evening, fellow riders. 

Another question from newbie here has arrived :

1) how does one keep leather looking good? Asking just because it's been wet last week or so and my Oxford coat I got her seems to be letting some of the water through... As a result - it look like what appears to be some water marks. Have seen some products online but they are meant to be used on boots, at least the ones I have seen so far...

With all the frost and snow and rain lately + 2 little ones to take care off... Ashamed to say but I haven't taken her out for a walk yet.... Gutted as anxiety kind of starts kicking in as well... Want to ride and learn, nonetheless weather conditions are a bit scary for newbie like myself. I am aware of icy conditions etc., just not sure what to expect... Anyhow... Will do it eventually...

Best regards

RaySin 

I assume you're referring to your seat which is covered with leather?? and the moisture is coming through the cover and getting on the seat which is going white where its been in contact with the water?

If that's the case, yeah unfortunately those waterproof covers are not that waterproof.....maybe shower proof at best. I used to cover mine at work in all weathers, keeps the majority off, but moisture gets though those seams eventually and drips on the bike, I used to cover the seat with a large polythene bag underneath the big cover and a light tension bungee to keep it in place. Worked for me keeping the seat dry.

As regards to what products to put on it, well, on the one hand its tempting to put shoe/boot products on, but they're generally meant to be buffed and polished and thats not what you want on a bike seat, you'll be sliding all over the shop. If its genuine leather, you do need to 'feed it/conditioner" otherwise it dries out and cracks. Upholstery products for seats is what you need. I used to use LeatherHoney, but I doubt you can get any in the UK these days. I ended up using Jaguar car leather conditioner for cars/convertibles. it all does the same thing, nourishes and prolongs the leather and adds to its waterproofing ability, bearing in mind its just cow hide, and cows don't mind the rain.

• 3 weeks later...

Before each ride I check the tyres are still inflated and the brakes are good before really getting underway, and if there is any obvious damage to the bike.

If you really want to be on top of things you can check everything as suggested by other people, but I ride daily and don't fancy adding 10mins in the garage at 6am before I go to work.

Being a 125 that does a lot of miles I check the oil, coolant, brake fluid, tyres, chain adjustment each weekend, as it particularly loves to stretch the chain and drinks oil. This maintenance schedule has lead to comments from MOT testers about how good a condition the bike is in for the mileage - so daily checks seem excessive to me. 9apps

Edited by narayan67v