Disconnecting the EXUP System

The Dude
This post is 6220 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello all. I have just bought the Akrapovic Megaphone slip-on race exhaust for my 06 R6. From what i can gather, the EXUP valve needs to be disconnected to fit this pipe. What exactly does the EXUP system do? What effect does it have on the performance of the bike and how will the bike be different once it's disconnected? Is running the bike without the EXUP valve connected a good thing or a bad thing? Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello all. I have just bought the Akrapovic Megaphone slip-on race exhaust for my 06 R6. From what i can gather, the EXUP valve needs to be disconnected to fit this pipe. What exactly does the EXUP system do? What effect does it have on the performance of the bike and how will the bike be different once it's disconnected? Is running the bike without the EXUP valve connected a good thing or a bad thing? Thanks

Are you fitting a full system or a end can?

Slip-on usually means end can. I've fitted it already anyway. Sounds great and no ill effects from disconnecting the EXUP valve. All is well. I have to say, i expected more of a response to this, being a Yamaha forum and what not :unsure:

The exup valve, is a variable restictor in the exhaust system (looks a bit like the Thames barrier),

take your silencer if and look down tha pipe with a torch you should be able to see it.

It is controlled by the ignition module via a servo motor and two cables. By altering the gas flow it

optimises the exhaust flow to suit the gas flow of the engine.

At low rpm it is almost shut the higher the rpm the more it opens.

I just had to replace one that was bent ?? on a 2001 Fazer 1000, cost £174.24 + VAT ! ! !

Well thats why we have forums old boy. You get enough people together, and together we know everything. Maybe i should have gone to the GSXR forum. I'm sure they'd know about an R6 :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

you will have to rejet your carbs now ;)

of course you could leave them the way they are and have no power below 4k and start pinking at high revs and burn your valves out. The EXUP system is there for a purpose, personally i wouldnt take it off.

• 8 months later...

you will have to rejet your carbs now ;)

of course you could leave them the way they are and have no power below 4k and start pinking at high revs and burn your valves out. The EXUP system is there for a purpose, personally i wouldnt take it off.

what a load of crap! you will not have to re-jet your bike! numpty....

it is there for emission and noise purposes mainly - but can provide back pressure at low revs so there is a bit more torque lower down.

Most people take them off to increase throttle response from low to mid revs where the 600's usually lack power. it does make a small difference to throttle response i have to say as i certainly noticed it - and there was less on off jerkiness in slow moving traffic as you get with the injection models. But the main reason to take them out is for noise! especially after fitting new pipes (slip ons) etc.....

it also doesn't void a warranty by removing it - it will only void a warranty if it is found that removing that particular part has caused another to malfuction - but this has never happened since the fitting of the ex-up, set, or exsv valves.

what a load of crap! you will not have to re-jet your bike! numpty....

it is there for emission and noise purposes mainly - but can provide back pressure at low revs so there is a bit more torque lower down.

Most people take them off to increase throttle response from low to mid revs where the 600's usually lack power. it does make a small difference to throttle response i have to say as i certainly noticed it - and there was less on off jerkiness in slow moving traffic as you get with the injection models. But the main reason to take them out is for noise! especially after fitting new pipes (slip ons) etc.....

it also doesn't void a warranty by removing it - it will only void a warranty if it is found that removing that particular part has caused another to malfuction - but this has never happened since the fitting of the ex-up, set, or exsv valves.

i've never read so much shit in my life! after working on exups for over 13 years all i can say is listen to this advice at your own peril!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online