XVS1100 Starter Solenoid?

aircooled
This post is 2636 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all, 

I`m in need of a bit of expert advice (so whats new lol) I am not exactly mechanically minded, but will give anything a go with a bit of help. I last used the Draggie in November for a Remembrance Day parade, got her out last week, started up fine, left running to warm up, then when I switched off, the starter motor was continuously turning even with no ignition on, I removed the key and it was still turning, I had to disconnect the battery to stop the bloody thing, solenoid?? What do you guys/gals think?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

yes it sounds like the starter solenoid must be jammed...was it turning the engine then?

I'd take a look to see if you can free it off somehow

if you do disconnect any wires from the SS don't forget to have your battery disconnected so they cant short cct to the frame etc

Hi Airhead, yeah, it was turning over but not firing as I had ignition off, So should I remove starter motor and then check for ???? I`m not the best with electrics and have never seen inside a starter motor :-(

Just now, aircooled said:

Hi Airhead, yeah, it was turning over but not firing as I had ignition off, So should I remove starter motor and then check for ???? I`m not the best with electrics and have never seen inside a starter motor :-(

As soon as I reconnect the battery, it turns over

It's not the starter motor that is the issue but the starter solenoid is what's the problem...wherever it is and whatever it looks like...it will have some pretty substantial wires connected to it. I'm not at all familiar with the bike so I cant offer any more help especially without seeing it

All these big yams have the solenoid on a large cable within 6" of the battery, should be pretty easy to find.

They dont have a bendix system used on car starter motors. Usually swapping in a new solenoid is about 15 minutes work.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online