Cost of Service and new tyres

DeeG
This post is 2766 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Afternoon all hope you are all well.  Just after a bit of advice regarding the cost of services and new tyres.

I have a diversion xj6 and have had it for about 6 months now and have racked up 6000 miles, yes a lot of commuting!!!!!!  I have booked in for a service and they have quoted me £195 for this. Is this about average?

Also the bike came with Battalax tyres, not sure how new they were, and I have now done 6000 miles so they need a change as the steering feels a bit funny.  The quote they gave me for these tyres is £268 for the pair!! Again is this about right?  Do you have any recommendations for good commuting tyres?

Thanks again

D

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi DG, first your quote for the service is about average I suppose tho I mostly do it myself as it's easy and you know it's been done properly, as to tyres well it depends on what your looking for really, some give good grip in the dry some in the wet others have long life but no real grip and so on, to be honest it's a bit of a nightmare trying to offer advice on tyres as most folks want tyres that last for years and grip like shit to a blanket, if you find some let the rest of us know!! But really there are some great deals out there at the moment for tyre pairs and all you need to do is hunt them down, no one is going to say "go here" cos what suits them won't suit you. Just type your bike into the net and google it then buy what you can afford and suit your riding style. Best I can say tho is buy the best you can afford they are the only things between you and a hospital bed.

• Like 1

Those prices sound about average as Slice said as for tyer's battalax have a good rep, if you've been happy with them up to now stick with them. 

• Like 2

I think slice was dead on, the cost for the service seems to be about right from a dealer, but you would save a significant sum if you felt comfortable doing the majority yourself, probably a good skill to learn if you haven't already, a Haynes manual is a good start

Also like slice said, tyres are a hard one, you can't really get great grip and long life, they seem to be mutually exclusive in my experiance. Personally I'd go for long life tyres when commuting but everyone likes something different so you'll have to decide for yourself. Most popular tyres come in common sizes so you'll probably find something that fits the rims and suits what you want well. Tyres are one of those things where you have to just swallow your pride and spend the cash sometimes. It's not like long life tyres are made of wood, but they definately won't stick as well as short life, sticky tyres will.

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online