2 Stroke Mix

Saulito
This post is 2814 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Morning lovers, sorry this will be the last basic question for a while. Well until the next! So the guy I got the 71 bike off never started it! After the rebuild but his mechanic did. He collected bikes but didn't ride the DT. Ive looked on the net and have gotten differing mix ratio's. Everything from 30:1, 40:1 and even 60:1. They mention different oils too. Can anyone give me a definitive mix ratio please. 1971 DT 1 250CC.

Thanks S.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Yah,  Factory spec, "was"  32/1  .   but oils are better now, 40/1 should do ,  ,either semi-synthetic, OR fully synth,  B)

• Like 1

Thanks Blackhat, I got her started last night, bloody awesome racket. Its got a day time MOT so Im figuring out how to get at the very least a stop light and a head light on the bike. Researching as I write. Watch this space!

• Like 1

Without wanting to start oil wars, there is a lot of misconceptions about what 2 stroke oil does, it does way more than just lube the engine, yes modern oils can be used at far ''thinner'' ratios than back in the day. BUT the oil does more than just lube the engine, it also helps ''seal'' the combustion cycle and create more power, theres a great abet long winded test on this (it must be true cos it was done up north by men when such types wore white coats), it was found that the most power on a midsize  2 stroke single was around 22:1 . The myth that this will turn it into a blubbering mess is bollocks, that is tuning. All my pre mix bikes have been tuned to run at 25:1, this is because im a simpleton when i comes to math and its easy for me to figure out.

This however is personal preference, l run Dino oil in bikes that where built to run on Dino oil, and syn oil in bikes that where designed and built for it, why, cos its logical

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Airhead said:

whats Dino Oils ? is the mineral oil?

I had to google it... never heard of it, but it sounds like you're right. If the source is accurate, "'Dino' is short for dinosaur. So in other words, dino oil is any oil made from crude oil or petroleum. It's also called 'mineral' oil." Sounds like dino is non-synthetic oil. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Sacha said:

I had to google it... never heard of it, but it sounds like you're right. If the source is accurate, "'Dino' is short for dinosaur. So in other words, dino oil is any oil made from crude oil or petroleum. It's also called 'mineral' oil." Sounds like dino is non-synthetic oil. 

This ;)

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online