Getting on and off ya bike with luggage on the back!?

JohnR6
This post is 6545 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Good morning guys,

It was the first time I had luggage on the back of my bike yesterday, I strapped a Holdall bag to the back seat as I was going to football after work. When I was getting off the bike, I nearly dropped my baby as my leg got caught when getting off. The bike was banked over like over 50 degrees and I thought it was gunna drop! Proper caked myself but luckily, I managed to hold it up! :blink: It's amazing how much grip (Even in the wet as it was raining) the tires have when banked over that much at stand still! :o I guess I should have put the stand down before getting off, but the DAS course which I was only on about 3-4 weeks ago teach you to always get off the bike then put the stand down. :huh:

Anyway, is there any technique in getting on and off the bike when having luggage at the back?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

When I first got the Goldwing with its huge top hamper, I found it very difficult to get on board. I sort of crawled on very slowly like a drunken and poorly coordinated octopus sliding over a strangely shaped rock.

However, I can now get on with considerable panache, even though in my sixties and well overweight. It's not easy to explain the move, but I'll try.

Stand beside the bike, facing forward. Left hand on left grip, then turn the body towards from the bike. You should now be standing there, left hand on grip, and facing across the bike. At this point you swing your right leg out and up, at the same time drawing your right knee up towards your body and pivoting on the ball of your foot. As your right foot passes over the seat you begin to straighten that leg out until suddenly, as if by magic, you are sitting on the bike, comfortably settled and looking smug!

To boost your confidence, try doing it on a bike without panniers.

As for getting off, it's pretty mauch the same backwards, but I aklways put the sidestand down first and hang on to the left grip. That way the bike can't possibly fall over.

Techniques can vary with this John :unsure:

Maybe you should pop on over HERE! for some input on this subject?

There's plenty of Seasoned veterans there that I'm sure could shed some light on this dilema. ;)

Guest Tomg

i can see that being a problem!! i saw on the long way round (ewan and charlie on bmw's round the worl thingy)

they have massive panniers and top boxes and then theres the massive beemer to get onto they sort of chuck one leg through like doing a karate kick and then just sit on it!! looks quite funny really!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online