2003 yamaha xvs 650

jonnyf
This post is 2927 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Need help guys. Bike going excellent till week ago. Loosing power on throttle at times. It's very intermittent. Last night I was parking it is garage. All the electrics went out. Took battery bay cover off but what ever I touched doing this power came on again. I wriggled connectors but cud not find anything loose. Originally thought throttle issue was carb issue. Is this now more likely to be electrical in loose connection. Battery only 6 weeks old. Where do I start.

Jonny

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Well if it was me I'd start at the battery and work my way back to the ignition, checking connectors as I went, BUT you seem to have already found the fault when you wiggled the wires so stick to the wires close to the battery and check all of them for failed connectors or fraying, bet it's something simple like that. It says, above, you have carbs on your bike so throttle problems are not anything due to electrics as carbs are mechanical unlike injectors, the only thing that could affect the throttle response is the ECU so that would be a good idea to check out as well, on my FJ when I first got it the connector block to the ECU was really corroded, all the connectors looked like they had been left out in the rain for 6 months, all sorts of crud gets thrown up when it's wet so get some switch cleaner and give it a real good clean out with an old tooth brush and make sure you get deep inside. The other thing I did notice was that the wires from the ECU usually have a real tight turn to them just after they exit the block and go out into the loom, you might have a frayed area there that might need a look at. Hope at least some of that helps?

jonnyf - it helps if you don't post the same thing in two differnt places.  Either Workshop or Custom.

I agree with Slice  re battery connections and said similar wherever else you posted this.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online