forks help please

fizzer u.k
This post is 6549 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
Guest yamymoto

please help ..... my forks seem to be sticking under heavy braking any one have any ideas as to the problem .... many thanx B)

cant help with the forks sorry but glad to know there are still a few fzr riders

cant help with the forks sorry but glad to know there are still a few fzr riders

oh ... yeah nice ... how is the genny ...... got any pics

do you know where i can get help with my forks

Sticky forks sound a bit unusual,

You could have a bent fork leg,

saggy springs

terrible oil,

you may have a rebound damper spring gone.

Alas, it's a csae of strip down to check.

Sticky forks sound a bit unusual,

You could have a bent fork leg,

saggy springs

terrible oil,

you may have a rebound damper spring gone.

Alas, it's a csae of strip down to check.

cheers for that jimjam ... im in need of as much advice as poss being novice ... nice 1

jimjam how easy or difficult would i find stripping a fork leg down and rebuild ... ive not alot of mechanical experience but im not to daft lol .... should i attempt it ??

cheers for that jimjam ... im in need of as much advice as poss being novice ... nice 1

jimjam how easy or difficult would i find stripping a fork leg down and rebuild ... ive not alot of mechanical experience but im not to daft lol .... should i attempt it ??

you havn't been doing stoppies have you?

this really knackers the front forks up as it puts way too much strain on the fork tubes and wears them out pretty rapido!!

you havn't been doing stoppies have you?

this really knackers the front forks up as it puts way too much strain on the fork tubes and wears them out pretty rapido!!

yee hee i wish .. no definately not although i have only owned the bike for a few months now and to be honest not sure of its history .. that aside thers deffo a problem somewhere .... is a strip down straight forward do you know ..???

Just a quick tought.

Loosen the yoke pinch bolts and rotate the fork legs 180 degrees, if they are bending when stopping then it may help to se if the problem goes away.

It's a dodge repair really but quick as you like and saves a strip down.

The strip is actually a fairly easy job. the hassle comes when you end up with a pot of waste oil and no where to put it.

there's a bolt at the very bottom of the forks, this holds it all in place togeter with the screw/circlip at the very top.

What exactly do you meaning by 'sticking under braking'? Are they compressing but not rebounding, eg what used to be called 'sticktion' by some older riders, or is it something else?

When did this start or has it always happened, did it start suddenly or develop gradually. Does it happen all the time or only under certain conditions?

I would agree with jimjam's idea, as it will also give you a chance to be sure that the fork legs have not twisted in the yokes either. More probably I would guess you have a problem with a spring (or both) either being too tired for the job or having broken. After trying the first idea I would take both springs out and check them for length and soundness. While I was doing that I would drain the fork oil and replace with fresh oil of the correct grade and see what difference it made (if you didn't find anything else obviously wrong).

Andy

Yep.....Changing the fork oil would be 1st thought @ remedying this prob.

The rotation of those fork tubes is also a viable solution. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online