Electric problem

Jingo1987
This post is 3185 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Help hi I am new to the site but I have got my first dt and don't no if it's the right place to post but I need help I got a 99dt125r/170 and it had a flat battery so I got a new one init but still have nothing no lights horn or lecky start but the bike will go off a bum can any one help and I also have changed the fuse

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Jingo, Welcome to the YOC. Ok if you can BUMP start it then your half way there, but your going to need to take it to a workshop to get someone to look at it for you unless your really good with motorcycle electrics you really don't want to be messing with it yourself, can I ask how old you are? and what bikes you have had before if any? Cos with the best will in the world we can't tell you how to fix your bike over the internet cos it will take days just to find out how good you are with a set of spanners. If your new to biking then you have a lot to learn BEFORE your even close to good enough to mess with bike electrics, it might be a simple fix or a really complicated reg/rec/starter motor problem. Much easier if you go to your local bike shop and get them to give it the once over. We really like new folks to join in and it's great when people enjoy their bike but trying to tell you how to fix it without knowing how good you are mechanically speaking is really difficult.

I am 27 and started rideing when I was 16 I've had a load of scooters,a old Honda nsr,gs500,yzfr125,derbi sender 50cc (poo) lol I am not the best with electrics but not to bad with everthink els it's had a new fuse and a new battery but don't no if I have to charge it first and don't no if these bikes have a Cdi unit or could it be the regulater and when it had the old battery on it witch was ded the red went to the - and the black when to the + and it still bumped so I haven't got a clue :/

Ok mate no probs, your up for it then, try the battery on the correct terminals, you will need to charge it first tho, they do come with some charge in them but it's always best to give them a thorough charge first. if your still not getting any lights or ignition light then you might want to test the earth leads first as old bikes seem to rust there first for some reason, just take the bolts out give them a good clean and see what happens. Don't forget to use a bike charger and not a car battery charger or your nice new battery will become a paper weight. Also see if the kill switch is stuffed (if you have one) that can cause all sorts of grief. Other than that it's a case of rial and error fault finding, try connecting the wires one at a time till you find where it stops working, not a happy place to be I'm afraid as it can be a bit of a grind tracing electrical faults. good luck.

I would reccomend starting at the ig switch. The kill circuit is fine as it bumps. As is the engine electrics. If NOTHING electrical works that is one of the check points.

A dt doesent use anything from the battery to run the engine. Its a permanant magnet genny and makes its own power for the cdi. Litteraly completely separate circuits.

• Like 1

Thanks Cynic, thought you would know.

That's great news, all you need to do now is say hello in the new members section !!!! (hint)

Which connector and where?

Could help others with similar issues.

I followed it down from the ignition and it was the first block you come to  as the last owner had put the battery on the wrong way round it had melted the wires so would still go off a bump but no electrics but all sorted now and will be in the new members part shortly thanks 

Feels good fixing it yourself though eh?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online