Fatter rear tyre SR125

ojmiddleton
This post is 3364 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Whats on it O/J " , what happens is the wider tyre squeezed on to a narrower rim ,makes the tyre more pointed in the centre,

Seen questions on other forums, folk trying to put 190s on a 5.1/5 inch rim [ designed for 180] and its steeper curve make it handle worse,

• Like 1

It depends on the size difference.

It affects the handling, your insurance and - for the front tyre - the speedo readout. A fractional change isn't a major problem but keep an eye on the sidewall ratio (the 50, 55 90 bit of the spec) as this is the percentage of the width. A lot of classic riders have to compromise due to tyres being metric sizes now.

I'd also look at the cost of a non standard tyre - average for a half decent rear on an sr, including fitting is around £100

3.50 is inches wide. 16 is wheel rim diameter. 3.50 is 100/90 converted. 100/90 is 100mm wide and 90 is 90% of the width of the tyre; so 75mm (edit: the 75mm is wrong but corrected later in the thread) tyre wall height. I think that imperial and metric measure from different places on the tyre.

Have a look here LINKY

if you had 100/100 tyre then the measurement width would be the same as the tyre wall measurement. As an easy example:

If you have a 100/100 the tyre would be 100mm wide and 100% of the tyre width wall length -100mm wall.

If you had a 100/90 the tyre would be 100mm wide and 90% of the tyre width wall length - 90mm wall.

If you had a 100/80 the tyre would be 100mm wide and 80% of the tyre width wall length - 80mm wall.

and so on. However;

If you had a 120/90 the tyre would be 120mm wide and 90% of the tyre width wall length so 120 X 0.9 = 108mm wall.

If you had a 120/80 the tyre would be 120mm wide and 80% of the tyre width wall length so 120 X 0.8 = 96mm wall

Therefore:

If the standard size tyre is a 100/100 and you put on a fatter 120/90 tyre the sidewall would be 8mm higher than standard (108mm - 100mm).

If you put on a 120/80, the sidewall would be 4mm lower than standard 100mm - 96mm)

If you you went for 120/100 because you thought it would only change the first 100 to 120 in the original spec, you would end up with a 120mm sidewall which is 20mm over standard!!

In the front tyre this would alter the speed accuracy. On either tyre it would change the handling characteristics.

100/100 Remember the first part - in blue - is width size in mm. The second part - in red - is the percentage of the first part in mm.

Will that do?

yes DT that is excellent thankyou, you really got stuck in!! :-)

So are you saying that i need to keep my tyre width to tyre wall height ratio the same if i went for a fatter tyre?

3.50 = 100/90 would mean 100mm width and 90mm tyre wall height would it not? Not 75mm as in the quote below....

3.50 is inches wide. 16 is wheel rim diameter. 3.50 is 100/90 converted. 100/90 is 100mm wide and 90 is 90% of the width of the tyre; so 75mm tyre wall height. LINKY

yes DT that is excellent thankyou, you really got stuck in!! :-)

So are you saying that i need to keep my tyre width to tyre wall height ratio the same if i went for a fatter tyre?

3.50 = 100/90 would mean 100mm width and 90mm tyre wall height would it not? Not 75mm as in the quote below....

Ooppps. yep 90mm.

I am saying that if you pick a fatter tyre - and I don't recommend that - I would look for somthing with a very similar side wall height. I would stick to a a 100/90 TBH.

Thanks for the advice man, I think ill take it :-) i think im just gonna keep it standard and just wait for the bigger bike, cruiser style. I dont have the knowledge, ability or facilities to be messing about with stuff. The bikes great, if it aint broke....!

Got to agree. Plus you don't have additional hassle when insuring (Non standard size tyres). These company's spend millions of Yen on development; they should, and sometimes do, know best. Put the saved money into the "next bike" pot.

• Like 2

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online